(Shelby County)




WINDSOR is situated on the east side of Shelby county, and contains thirty sections of land; it is bounded on the north by Moultrie county, south by Richland township, west by Okaw township, and on the east by Ash Grove township and Moultrie county . The Okaw, or Kaskaskia river flows through two sections on the west side of the township; Sand creek drains the centre of the township from east to west; Lick creek and Carr creek are two small streams in the south part, tributaries of Sand creek. Wolf creek is a small stream in the north part, and flows into the Okaw river. Originally the west part of the township was heavily timbered along the Okaw; the land is considerably broken. In the east and south part the land is very rich, and here were made s ome of the early settlements of the county. The first was Elias Carr and Isaac Corbin; they located their cabin on a prong of Sand creek, now called Carr's creek, in 1826. The cabin stood a short distance from where the Methodist Church now is, on section twenty-eight.

In the early spring of 1827, Benjamin Moberly built a cabin in the edge of the timber on the south side of Sand creek, on section twenty-six. He was born in Madison county, Kentucky, in 1799. In 1812 his father emigrated to what is now Franklin county, th is state, where he lived a number of years in a fort, as the Indians

Page 236

were very troublesome at that time. Mr. B. Moberly now lives in Windsor, and is a hale and hearty old gentleman, full of life and energy, and delights in talking of the olden time. The third house was put up by Isaac Sherley, a short distance east of wher e Moberly settled, now known as the Joseph Walker place. Moberly and Sherley were brothers-in-law, and came here together. They brought with them a load of salt, and part of a barrel of whiskey, for which they found a ready sale, to the settlers on Richla nd and Jordan creeks. Sherley did not remain long; he was of a roving disposition. He died in Kansas some years ago.

Joseph Baker settled the John Walden place in 1827. Daniel Turrentine built a cabin at the head of the north prong of Sand creek, on section twenty-three, in 1828, where he resided until his death. His aged wife still survives him, and lives on the old pl ace.

Daniel Davis was one among the first settlers at the head of Sand creek; he was a blacksmith, although not an expert in his trade. He could mend a chain or clevis, and at that time was considered a very useful citizen. He sometimes preached to the early s ettlers.

Benjamin Bruce located west of the Sulphur Spring, on section twenty-eight, in 1829, where he lived a short time, and afterwards settled the William Hartsell place, on section twenty-two, where he resided until his death in 1861. He was twice married, and raised a family of twelve children.

Col. Peter Warren, a native of Virginia, from Tennessee, here settled on section thirty-two in 1830, now the Samuel Thompson place. He raised a family of fifteen children; three are now living. Elder P. P. Warren, who lives on section twenty-eight, Joseph Warren now living in Ash Grove township, and Mrs. Ann Robinson of Windsor township. Col. Warren was a militia colonel in Tennessee before he came to Illinois, and was a militia general in this State; was Captain of a company in the Black Hawk war, and re presented this district in the State Senate for a number of years. He resided on the place he improved until his death in 1858. David Robinson settled on Carr's creek as early as 1830. In 1829 Alfred Wallis located on section twenty-seven; two years later his father, Jacob Wallis, located on the same section. They were natives of Kentucky; came to Southern Illinois as early as 1820.

Daniel Miner came to the township in 1838; his wife, who was a Miss Ledbetter, came to the county in 1824, with her parents.

Daniel Tull, a native of Tennessee, settled on the south side of the north fork Sand creek, section twenty-three, in 1829. He had two married children, who accompanied him to this county: Elizabeth, wife of B. Bruce, and J. B. Tull, his eldest son, who se ttled at the head of Sand creek, between the forks. J. B. Tull only remained here about two years, when he returned to Tennessee. After eight years he came back to this township, and settled on sec. nineteen, where he resided until his death. His widow ye t lives on the old place; they have three sons living here.

Benjamin Weeks was one of the early settlers here. He lived on the Joseph Walker place as early as 1832.

Nathan Gaddis, now living on Wolf creek, has lived in the country since 1839.

James Richardson, a native of Indiana, settled on section eight, in 1839; he has two sons still living here, George and John.

Judge William Williamson, a native of North Carolina, came to the country about 1825. In 1830 he bought a "squatter's" improvement of William Weger, near the head of Carr's creek. Williamson was elected first sheriff of this county, and filled the office two terms; was first lieutenant in Captain Price's company in the Black Hawk war; was first county surveyor; he filled the office of county judge for some time; afterwards represented this county in both houses of the State Assembly. He died in this towns hip on the place he improved.

W. F. Hilsabeck, now living on section sixteen, has lived in the county since 1834. His father, Frederick Hilsabeck, was a native of North Carolina; he came to Hillsboro, Montgomery county, Illinois, in 1830, and to Shelbyville four years later, and follo wed blacksmithing in Shelbyville many years; he died three miles north of Shelbyville in 1856. Five of his children now live in Shelby county, two in Missouri, and one in Kentucky. W. F. Hilsabeck settled where he now lives in 1845; the place was first se ttled by Jonathan Wyman.

The Waldens are early settlers here; they first settled in Richland township. (See history of that township.)

Tobias Grider, one of the early preachers of Shelby county, settled on the north side of Sand creek, near where the Christian Church now stands, in 1836, where he resided until his death, Nov. 11th, 1880.

Other early settlers of the township may be mentioned -- the Lovins, Elisha Fortner, and William Upchurch.

Supervisors. -- Since township organization, Windsor has been represented by the following gentlemen, whose names appear below: Alex. Walker, elected in 1860, re-elected in 1861; 1862, (chairman) 1863. W. H. Brown, elected in 1864; re-elected in 18 65, 1866, and 1867. A. Bland, elected in 1868; re-elected in 1869. H. N. Walden, elected in 1870; re-elected in 1871. G Richardson, elected in 1872. J. Rose, elected in 1873. H. N. Walden, elected in 1874; re-elected in 1875, '76 and '77. T. N. Henry, ele cted in 1878; re elected in 1879 and '80; is the present incumbent.

In 1827 the Indians had a camp at the head of Sand Creek, on the land now owned by James Davis. They did not remain here long.

The first Church was built on the Bruce place, now the Hartsel place, about 1838; it was a small log building with puncheon floor, and John Storm, of the Christian denomination, preached the first sermon here. The above building soon became too sma ll for the congregation, and they built a frame, and subsequently a brick church, near by, in 1874. The township is now well supplied with church buildings -- there are six in the country and three in the town of Windsor.

The first schoolhouse was built near where B. Bruce lived in 1836. Two railroads pass through this township, with a junction at Windsor. This town was laid out by Simeon Ryder and P. C. Huggins, in 1856. It is the second town in size in the county having about 900 population. J. D. Bruce built the first house here, in which he kept a hotel; the old building still stands north of the depot; he was also the first post-master, the office being in the hotel. Thomas Kenney erected the second house on the south side of the railroad, where he boarded the railroad hands. The third house was put up by Watson Wallace, in which he opened a saloon. The fourth building was a business house, built by L. H. Kellar, in which he put a general stock of goods, and has follo wed merchandizing here up to the present time. The fifth house was also a business house, put up by James Hilsabeck, who was the second merchant in the building now occupied by Joseph Garrett & Son. Dr. Jesse York was the first physician, and erected the first residence. The first blacksmith shop was carried on by John T. Alexander, who sold out to Joseph Garrett.

The old Mill was first built in 1857 by John Keith, now run by Westbay and Voris. This mill has two run of burrs, and has a good custom trade.

The City Mills were erected, in 1866, by Woolard & Price; the

Page 237

firm name has been changed several times, but is now under the style of Frazer & Price. It is a good, substantial mill of two run of burrs, and does a good business. They have an elevator attached to the mill where they handle all kinds of grain.

The Grain Elevator, operated by L. H. & G. Gould, was built by them in 1872; they have a dump, and every convenience found in all first-class elevators. D. N. Harwood & Co. built their hay barn here in 1877, in which they handle about 2,000 tons of hay annually. S. E. Spraker has been manufacturing tile a short distance west of Windsor, for about seven years; he has invested considerable money here in this business, and manufactures a good quality of tile, for which he finds a ready market.

McDaniel & Wallace, carriage, wagon, and general blacksmith shop, do quite a manufacturing business here. There are two other blacksmith-shops in the place run by Joseph Garrett and T. Riggs. Philower & Snyder erected the Windsor Hotel at the junction of the two railroads, in 1874; it is a large three-story brick edifice, and is a credit to the town. The brick block in the west part of the town was erected in 1872-3; there are three firms merchandizing in this block, as follows:

The Grange Store. -- F. A. Warden, agent, handle nearly everything but dry goods.

Dry goods, hats, caps, boots and shoes. -- T. N. Henry.

Dry goods, notions, and general stock -- Jake Smyser.

Drugs. -- Brunk & Jeffries.

The lumber yard, now carried on by John Moberly & Sons, was started twelve years ago by General H. C. Bull, who afterwards went west to Nebraska, and laid out the town of Bull city, where he became quite wealthy; he was killed a few years ago, in. his own park, by what he supposed to be a tame elk.

The Physicians of Windsor are: W. H. Dubler,. C. H. Brunk, C. D. Warden, W. F. Hilsabeek, H. H. Aldridge, and J. B. Montgoinery.

F. M. Harbaugh. -- Attorney.

John P. Brisben. -- Civil Engineer, Notary Public and County Surveyor.

Other business of the place is as follows:

J. T. Poe. -- Groceries.

J. Garrett & Son. -- Furniture, hardware and farm implements.

J. A. Hatch. -- Jewelry.

Smyser & Co. -- Drugs.

L. C. Jackson. -- Books and Notions.

L. H. and W. H. Keller. -- Dry Goods and general stock.

Groceries. -- Bourn and Leggitt, Michael Shea.

Restaurants. -- Adam Hager, O. Y. Robbins, (Johnson and Webster.)

L. H. Keller and Son (double store). -- Dry Goods, Clothing, Boots and Shoes, Hats and Caps and Groceries.

Sexon and Horn. -- Butchers.

James Heffernen, James Willis. -- Shoemakers.

L. Evins. -- Bakery.

George Webster. -- Tailor.

Millinery. -- Mrs. S. T. Ring, Mrs. Meloon.

Post Master and Notions. -- G. G. McCamant.

J. S. Shaffer. -- Hardware, Furniture and Farm Implements.

O. Y. Robbins, J. M. Jones. -- General stores.

William Fisher. -- Dry Goods and Notions.

D. F. Richardson. -- Harness and Saddles.

W. H. Wollard.- E. M. Scott -- Dentists.

S. Ashbrook. -- Barber.

James D. Allen. -- Hotel and Livery.

L. S. Baldwin. -- Livery.

There are three Churches in Windsor, Methodist, Christian and Cumberland Presbyterians, all good commodious buildings. Sunday schools are kept up by all the churches, and well attended. They have here a substantial two story brick public school-building, where five teachers are employed.

Societies. -- Windsor Lodge No. 322, A. F. & A. M., was organized in 1859, with the following charter,members, William Van Cannon, W. M, ; C H. Brunk, S. W.; John W. Gilpin, J.W.; Isaac J. Sperry, Treas.; L. B. Perkins, Secry.; B. F. Herrick, S. D. ; Thomas Gilpin, Tyler. The present officers are Rev. W. W. M. Barber, W. M.; I. H. Gilpin, S. W.; T, Calvin, J. W.; R, M. Bourne, Treas.; C. D. Warden, Secry.; T. C. Wallace, S. D.; James Turner, J. D.; E. D. Tull, Tyler. Present membership seventy five.

Fidelity Lodge No. 576 I. O. O. F. was chartered October 13, 1875, with the following charter members: Sylvester Storm, G. R. Cochran, T. Riggs, J. M. Kuhl, Wm. Templeton, L. S. Baldwin A. H. Messer, W. C. Smyser, A. Mahan, J. L. Storm, G. W. Hilli goss, James S. Nautz. The present officers are: W. A. Hilsabeck, N.G.; H. Bartles, V. G.; H. H Aldridge, Sec.; A. M. Reckord, Per. Sec.; G. W. Hilligoss, Treas.; Thos. L. Leggett, R. S. N. G.; J. T. Edwards, L. S. N. G.; A. J. Reed, W.; W. H. Dubler, C.; Jasper Horn, R. S. S.; Geo. Garrett, L. S. S.; Wm. Fisher, O. G.; Geo. R. Cochran, I. G. They have forty-one members.

The Shelby Encampment at Windsor No. 65, was chartered October 9, 1866, with the following charter members: Geo. C. Leathers, H. H. Aldridge, P. B. Thompson, W. S. Moore, H. F. Hardy, W. Wilkins, Wm. Templeton and Charles Voris. The present officer s are: James Willis, C. P.; Sylvester Storm, H. P.; Wm. Fisher, S. W.; H. Bartles, J. W.; H. H. Aldridge, S. C.; W. Templeton, Treas.

Knights of Pythias, Waldemar Lodge No. 77, was chartered October 23, 1879, with the following charter members: Sylvester Storm, Amos H. Messer, William Fisher, Edgar M. Scott, Philip Keller, William Templeton, Truman Ames, O. Y. Robbins, Lyman A. G ould, Alvin M. Anderson, John Fox, W. W. M. Barber, John Crane, James L. Turner, Michael Montgomery, William Bowen, George Cochran, Henry Richman, David Richardson, J. Poe, W. H. Dubler, A. Martin, J.Willis, J. Price, O. Bandy, C. O. Davis, J. Storm, A. J . Reed, A. M. Record, J. A. Montgomery, C. F. Hughs, I. F. Sexon, H. J. Franklin and H. Dille. The present officers are: L. A. Gould, C. C.; P. J. Keller, V. C.; J. T. Poe, M. F.; O. Y. Robbins, M. Ex.; James Price, M. A. S. Storm, P.; J. Montgomery, K. R . and S.

Knights of Honor " Home Lodge," No. 990, was organized March 27, 1878, with the following charter members: J. W. Brady, C. H. Brunk; Thomas Cavins, G. F. Gould, W. S. Glover, Thomas N. Henry, L. C. Jackson, J. N. Jones, A. A. Ricketts, Jacob Smyser, J. S. Wilkinson, J. P. Westbay. Present officers are: L. C. Jackso n, D.; A. A. Ricketts, P. D.; A. W. Philhower, V. D.; J. M. Jones, A. D.; Jacob Smyser, R.; T. N. Henry, F. R.; J. S. Shafer, Treas.; F. A. Warden, Chap.; G. F. Gould, Guide; Geo. Garvin, G.; J. P. Westbay, S.

Independent Order of Good Templars was organized by J. T. Long, March 19, 1880, with the following charter members: F. A. Warden, W. F. Hilsabeck, Jr., J. M. Ricketts, Eugenia Hilsabeck, John Spooner, William Waters, C. A. Brady, F. A. Brown, O. B. Warden, H. R. Moberly, S. R. Warden, I. K. Brady, H. C. Westbay, T. B. Wiggins, Sarah Tice and K. P. Ricketts; S. R. Warden, W. A. S.

Page 238



THE ancestry of the Voris family on the paternal side is German, and on the maternal English and Scotch. Peter Voris, the grandfather of Charles, was born and raised in Lancaster county, Pa. He removed to Ohio in 1815 and settled in Stark county, a fterward lived and died in Summit county in 1849. He married a Miss Spiker of Lancaster county, Pa. Peter Voris, Jr., was one of the offspring of that marriage. He was born in Lancaster county, Pa, in 1799.

He remained in Ohio until 1858, when he came to Mattoon in Coles county, Illinois, and died there in January, 1880, in the eighty-first year of his age. He was by profession, a civil engineer, and in his life was a prominent man in Ohio. He was Judge of t he District Court, and Associate Judge under Hon. Ben. Wade for five years. He also represented his district in the Legislature of Ohio, and held other minor though important offices in his county. He married Julia Coe, a native of Hartford, Conn., but a resident of Summit county, Ohio at the time of her marriage. She died in Mattoon in 1859. By this union there were thirteen children, nine sons and four daughters. Nine of the children have survived the parents. The subject of this sketch is the seventh i n the family. He was born in Summit county, Ohio, March 22d, 1839. His youth was passed upon the farm and in attending the district schools, until his fifteenth year, when he came to Knox county, Illinois, and worked on a farm. The same year he went to Mi nnesota, and then to Iowa, and remained there until the fall of 1859, when he came home to his parents at Mattoon, Illinois, and remained there until the winter of 1860, when he engaged with a party in Mattoon to take charge of the grain and lumber busine ss in Windsor, Shelby county. He came to Windsor, and in 1862 engaged in general merchandizing and grain business, which he continued until 1866. In 1868 he went into the banking business. In 1875 he went on a farm. The next year he returned to Windsor an d engaged in milling and grain business, in which he still continues. In 1866 he was elected a member of the Legislature for the then 17th Representative District, now the 31st, and in 1868 was re-elected to the same office. In 1870 he was nominated and e lected State Senator for the 7th Senatorial District for a short term. In 1872 under the redistricting it became the 31st Senatorial District. He was again elected to represent that district in the State Senate for a short term. He retired from office in 1874. While a member of the House he was on the committees of Railroads, Counties, Enrolled and Engrossed Bills. While in the Senate he was a member of the committee on Railways, Penitentiary and Manufactories, and chairman of the Special Committee to inv estigate the Union Stock Yards at Chicago. In 1869 he was elected Vice President of the Bloomington and Ohio River Railroad, now one of the branches of the Wabash and Pacific.

Politically he was originally a democrat, and was elected by that party to the honorable positions he held. In 1873 he joined bands with the National party, or the party who were opposed to monopolies and in favor of legislating in the interest of the mas ses, and not in favor of the few. Since that time he has acted with the National Greenback party, and is active in its councils and connections. In 1876 he was chairman of the committee on Permanent Organization in the National Convention that met at Ind ianapolis that nominated Peter Cooper for President. He was an elector on the National ticket for his District in 1876.

He is not a member of any church organization, but he is what might be termed a "Restitutionist." He is a radical temperance advocate. While a member of the State Senate, he was one of three members of his party who voted for the passage of what then beca me the Temperance Law of the State. He advocated the cause of temperance both in private and from the rostrum. In the winter of 1878 he went to Effingham, and organized the temperance movement, and such was the force and power of his speeches that in one week he got fourteen hundred names enrolled as workers in the cause, and completely revolutionized public sentiment in that hitherto license town.

On the 6th of November, 1860, he was united in marriage to Miss Mary J. Templeton, a native of Shelby county. Two children have been born to them, one living named Annette Elize Voris. Julia died in her ninth year.


THE subject of this sketch was born in Claremont county, Ohio, March 28th, 1861. His father, S. L. Warden, is a native of the same county and state. He left Ohio in 1866 and came west to Illinois, and settled in Ash Grove township, Shelby county, a nd there engaged in farming. One year later he removed to Moultrie county, where he at present resides. J. L. is the youngest of four children, two sons and two daughters, of S. L. and Frances Warden. His education was obtained in the common schools of Mo ultrie county, and by home instruction. He, at an early age, had a special fondness, and developed a talent for printing. In June, 1876, while at home on the farm, he purchased an amateur office, and thus learned to set type, compose and write editorials, and carry on printing in a miniature form. In 1874 he increased the capacity of the office, and commenced the publication, in Windsor, of a monthly, known as the Advertiser, which was chiefly devoted to the

Page 239
interests of the business men of that village. Meeting with good success he again increased the capacity of the office in March, 1878, and commenced the publication of the Windsor Gazette, a weekly paper, devoted to the general interests of the tow n of Windsor and vicinity, and giving the local and current news of the day. It was a small paper, printed upon a job press, but notwithstanding the lack of a good press it was a neat publication typographically, showing that Mr. Warden had, from the outs et, ideas of neatness in the press and " make up " of his paper. In 1879 his business had increased and demanded an enlargement of the Gazette, and additional material and presses. He then fitted up the office with a cylinder power press, enlarged the paper to its present size, increased his energy and, industry, made a lively, spicy, readable paper, and increased the circulation, until now at the present writing, he is issuing 1,000 copies of the Gazette, which goes into and gladdens the ho mes of many in Shelby and Moultrie counties. Mr. Warden is yet young, and, comparatively, entering upon the threshold of journalistic experience, but if he perseveres, and falters not, nor loiters by the wayside of life gathering pleasure in its many evan escent shapes, nor turns aside to seek riches in other avenues, we predict for him a bright and honorable career in journalism. Adaptability and talent for a chosen profession, united with energy and industry cannot fail to win. It is with pleasure that w e here append these few words in a brief biographical sketch of one of Windsor's young, and energetic citizens, and trust that our estimate of him may not fall short; we believe that it will not.


THE Brisben family were originally from the north of Ireland, and are of Scotch-Irish ancestry. They were edge-tool manufacturers. Andrew and John Brisben, the latter the grandfather of the present family, emigrated to America, and settled in Chest er county, Pennsylvania, about the close of the revolutionary war. He afterwards removed to Ohio and settled in Tuscarawas county, in what was known as the "Dormer Tract," and there set up a blacksmith shop on the old stage road between Wheeling and Cleve land. There he remained for many years. He died at the home of his son in Christian county, Illinois, at the great age of ninety years. He married Jane McNeil. She died also at the home of her son in the above named county. Andrew Brisben, the father of J ohn P., is the sole surviving son. He was born in Chester county, Pennsylvania, in 1815. He accompanied his father to Ohio and remained there until 1865, when he came to Illinois and settled in Christian county, where he still resides. He married Rebecca Price, a native of Easton, Ohio. By this marriage there are three children living. The subject of this sketch is the only son. He was born in Tusearawas county, Ohio, January 25th, 1842. His education was obtained in the public schools of his native count y, and in them he attained to great proficiency in mathematics. In 1860 he taught schools. In the spring of 1861 he enlisted as a private in the first call for three months volunteers, and was elected ensign. After the expiration of his term of service he returned home, and in the summer of 1862 he enlisted as a private in Co. "K," 98th regt., Ohio Vols., and was promoted to the position of orderly sergeant before the regiment left the rendezvous camp at Steubenville. He received his commission as Second Lieutenant, October 8th, 1862, dated from the battle of Perryville. He was promoted to First Lieutenant at Franklin, Tennessee, his commission dating March 15th, 1863. He was then detached and identified with the construction of Fort Granger. He remained there until the 1st of May, 1863, when, with Gen. Granger's forces he joined Rosecrans' army which was on the advance movement. During this time he was identified with the engineering department of Rosecrans' army, and was a member of the First U. S. Vete ran Engineer Corps. While in this service he was promoted to the captaincy of his company in the 98th regt., and received his commission dated March 25th, 1864. He resigned his commission as Captain in the volunteer service, May 1st. 1864, in order to acc ept the First Lieutenancy in the First U. S. Veteran Engineer Corps, and was commissioned as First Lieutenant in that arm of the service, July 2d, 1864, after having successfully passed the examination before a board of engineers at Chattanooga, and remai ned in that position until after the close of the war. He was assigned to duty in Sherman's Corps, and was one of the officers in charge who threw the pontoon bridges across the streams and river from Chattanooga to Atlanta. Afterwards he became attached and identified with the engineering department of the Army of the Cumberland, under Gen. Geo. H. Thomas. In 1865 he was ordered to Columbia county, Tennessee, and there took charge of the vouchers for the block-houses and railroads for the U. S. engineeri ng service until they were turned over to the civil authorities. After his retirement from the service, he returned home and engaged in general business for several years. In 1867 he came west to Illinois. On the 28th of May, 1873, he was united in marria ge to Miss Belle Messer, a native of Laconia, New Hampshire, but a resident of Shelby county at the time of her marriage. Her father, Harrison Messer, was one of the original contractors of the St. Louis, Alton, and Terre Haute Railroad. He was also one o f the first expressmen between Boston and Concord. There has been born to John P. and Belle Brisben one child, a son, named John Messer Brisben. Politically, Captain Brisben is a democrat; his democracy is never doubted. In 1877 he was nominated and elect ed County Surveyor, a position that he is eminently qualified for by long education and experience. He is of a social disposition; a most excellent and jovial companion, and a true friend to all whom he honors with his friendship.


THE subject of this sketch is one of the pioneers of Shelby county. He was born in Cochran's Grove, Shelby county, April 22, 1833. His father, John Price, was one of three brothers who came to Shelby county in 1824 or 1825, and settled in what was then known as Cochran's Grove. He was a native of North Carolina, and moved from there to Kentucky, where he married Jane G. Cochran, daughter of John and Martha (McCaslin) Cochran. He was born January 1, 1792. He remained in Shelby county till his death, which occurred in the fall of 1866. His wife, and the mother of J. Henry Price, was born November 3, 1799, and died in this county in the spring of l856. There was born to John and Jane G. Price ten children, three sons and seven daughters. Seven of the children have survived their parents. The subject of this biography is the only remaining son of the family. In his youth he assisted his father in cultivating his farm, and occasionally getting a little schooling in the rude log school-houses of the pion eer era of Illinois. The knowledge therein obtained did not go beyond the three "R's, reading, 'riting and 'rithmatic." The ambitious and industrious pupil who got beyond the rule of three was looked upon as a mathematical wonder, and a brilliant future w as predicted for him. Yet within the rude log school houses of fifty years ago, sat youths poring over their books who have since that time startled the world

Page 240
with their genius, oratory and profound statesmanship. Mr. Price remained at home until after he was of age, and on the farm until 1868, when he came to Windsor and commenced the milling business. In 1860, however, he was engaged in operating a saw and gr ist mill in Cochran's Grove. In 1866, he and William Woolard commenced the erection of the city mills, and as soon as finished commenced operating them, and has remained in the business up to the present. He has had several partners. The firm is now Price & Blithe. On the 3d of November, 1853, he married Miss Nancy C. Renshaw. She was born January 10, 1831. Her father, John Renshaw, was a native of Kentucky, and came to this county about 1824 or 1825. He married Mary Carr, a native of Tennessee. There hav e been born to J. Henry and Nancy C. Price, eight children, four of whom are living. Those that are dead, died in infancy, The names of those living are James J., John M., William H. and Charles T. Price. Both he and his wife are members of the Christian Church. In politics he was a democrat until 1880, when he voted for Gen. Weaver, the Greenback candidate. Mr. Price belongs to the pioneer family of the county. He has resided here since his birth. He is much respected by all who know him.


THE subject of this sketch is the fifth in a family of ten children of W. F. and Elenor (Walden) Hilsabeck. His father was a native of Georgia. He left that state at the age of fifteen, and came with his father's family to Hillsboro, Montgomery cou nty, Illinois. Subsequently he removed to Shelby county, where he at present resides. Dr. Hilsabeck was born in Windsor township, Shelby county, October 8th, 1846. He received his education in the public schools of Shelby county, at the seminary in Shelby ville, and at the Mt. Zion Academy in Macon county, where he spent one year, also attending the Normal School in Potsdam, New York, one year.

In 1868 he commenced the study of medicine in the office of Dr. Harnett, of Shelbyville, and continued with him until he entered the Medical Department of the University of Michigan, at Ann Arbor where he remained one college year. In the winter of 1871-7 2 he entered Rush Medical College, Chicago, and graduated from that institution with the degree of M. D. in the following year. He returned to Windsor and commenced practice. In 1876 he entered the Missouri Medical College at St. Louis, and also graduated from that institution, and resumed his practice; and has continued with great success to the present. On the 24th of October, 1877, he was united in marriage to Miss Eugenia Sargent, a native of Claremont county, Ohio, but a resident of Moultrie county a t the time of her marriage. He is in political faith a stalwart republican. He is a member of the ancient and honorable Order of Freemasonry, and belongs to Windsor Lodge, No. 322. He is an advocate of temperance, and strictly a total abstainer. The docto r has a large and growing practice, and he gives it his undivided attention.


ONE of the enterprising business men of Windsor is J. G. Allen. He is the proprietor of the Windsor livery, feed and sale stables, and takes great pains in fitting out the public in single or double rigs with or without drivers. His terms are very reasonable, and as low as any livery in the county. The public will find him a very accommodating and obliging gentleman.

|| Return to Main Site Index ||