(Shelby County)

(Shelby County)





IS six miles square and situated on the west side of the county. It is bounded on the north by Rural, on the south by Cold Spring, on the east by Rose township, and on the west by Christian county. It is mostly a high rolling prairie, slightly timb ered in the north-east and south-west corners. This township has a more diversified and beautiful landscape, than probably any other section of the county, made so by the chain of mounds, (or as the old settlers term them knobs), which extends to the grea ter part of the northern and central portions of the township. To the eye of the traveler, when passing through the township, they have the appearance somewhat of the billowy ocean, rendering the view of the surrounding country one of exceeding beauty. Th ere is one thing somewhat peculiar in reference to these mounds; they are productive to their very summits, and regarded as the best of wheat land. Some of the mounds are continuous and some isolated.

Burrell Massey was the first settler in the knobs, in consequence of which they took his name. He settled here in about 1830 or 31, on section three where R. Pugh now lives.

Daniel Agles also settled on the same section, about the same time.

James Abbott settled the place, where Samuel Smith now lives about 1830. John May afterwards bought the land and lived here. Samuel Smith, who came to Rose township with his mother, Mary Smith, in 1831, has lived on the place since 1849.

John Neil settled on section three in 1834. Franklin Hudson settled on section four in 1832, now the Nelson Neil place. He here made the first land entry in the township, September 18,1832, by entering one hundred and thirty-four acres in the north-east c orner of the above section. The next entry was made by John May, November 23d, 1833; he entered the north-east quarter of the south-east quarter section four; nearly three years elapsed, when he made the third entry in the township, Jan. 27th, 1836, by en tering the west eighty acres of the northwest quarter, section ten.

Abraham Middlesworth, sr., entered a large tract of land in the north part of the township in an early day. This land was afterwards settled by his sons, Abraham and Ner.

Daniel Puckett, from Ohio, came into the township in 1837, and broke up a small patch of ground, now on the place of Washbourn Wade, where he intended to put in corn. He had the misfortune to lose one of his horses by lightning: this left him without a te am. He then moved up into the Sangamon river timber, where he remained about three years, spending the most of his time in hunting. Returning to this township in 1840, he settled permanently in the south part, where his son, Nathan Puckett, now lives. He made this place his residence until his death.

Benjamin Hobson settled in the extreme south-west corner of the township as early as 1838 or '39. He was from Indiana, and died a number of years ago. Thomas May settled the Weller place about 1840; he sold his improvements to Joseph Hall of Tennessee. M ay went to Oregon, and Hall afterwards moved to Texas.

Garrett Horrace settled the Jester place about 1837; he sold to Stephen Jester in 1841. Jester was from Pickaway county, Ohio; had lived in Shelby county since l838. He died in 1877.

Washbourn Wade, a native of Ohio, entered the land where he now lives in 1837, and then returned to Ohio, where he remained until 1844, when he came out the second time, and began the improvement of his place, where he has since resided. John Sharrock, a native of Ohio, came to Christian county in 1835 ; ten years later he came to this township, and settled the north east quarter of section twenty-eight. At the time Mr. Sharrock settled here, there were only five families living in the south part of the t ownship, as follows: Stephen Jester, Jonathan Riley, Washbourn Wade, Thomas May, and William Wirey. In the west part of the township, on Beck's creek, there was here and there a "squatter," but as the country settled they left for better hunting grounds.< P> W. W. Peek, now living on section thirteen, has lived in the township for the past twenty years. His father, William Peek, a native of Tennessee, came to Shelbyville in the fall of 1834. In the fall of 1837, he settled in Rose township, where he resided u ntil his death in 1856.

John and Robert Pugh, now living on sections ten and fifteen, are the two eldest settlers now living in Shelby county, (see history of Cold Spring township.) The north-west part of this township was not settled until comparatively late years.

Early Schools. -- The first school-house in the township was a hickory log cabin, and stood near the centre of section three. It was called " Old Hickory." James McCabe was among the first teachers.

The first preaching was at the residence of John Neil, by the Baptist denomination. They held meetings here regularly for a number of years. Winis Whitfield was one of the first preachers.


WAS laid off by Washbourn Wade, on a part of his farm, north-west corner of section thirty-three, in 1848. The town was first called Manyawper, and so recorded on the records, and afterwards changed. William Collins built the first house, in which he put

Page 275

a general stock of goods. The second business house was erected by Everard Sharrock, who also brought on a general stock of goods. Sharrock afterwards sold out to his son, John Sharrock. A blacksmith shop was carried on by John Mattox, and four or five re sidences were erected here. The post-office received mail twice a week as the village was on the direct route between Shelbyville and Hillsboro, and gave promise of becoming a town of some importance. The construction of the Indianapolis and St. Louis rai lroad proved a death-blow to the prosperity of the town; as Tower Hill was laid out on the line of this road, within three miles of Westminster, the place was disbanded, and all the buildings but two removed.


WAS surveyed by Elias Smith, county surveyor, June, 1857, for P. C. Huggins and Simeon Ryder, proprietors of the town. The town is built within a half mile of the centre of the township, on the south side and at the base of one of the largest knobs in the township, originally known as Pilot Knob, and commands a beautiful view of the country around.

Elick Hunter bought Sharrock's business house in Westminster and moved it to Tower Hill, and this was the first business house in the place. Hunter put in a general stock of goods.

The second merchant was Edward Bolins, of Pana, Illinois; he sold goods in a small house that stood where the depot now stands. Corley & Moore were the third firm. A. V. Harper bought out Moore, and the fourth firm was Corley & Harper. Neil & Moses afterw ards came in and built the house now occupied by John Sharrock, and opened up a general store of goods.

Thomas Craddick was the first postmaster: he kept the office in the first store. He was also the first justice of the peace here and first station agent. The first hotel or boarding-house was moved here from the head of Massey's Knobs, by John Faro, now u sed for a dwelling. The present hotel in part was erected also by John Faro, in 1855.

The mill was built in 1863, by Dr. Martin Oliver: it is a good substantial mill of three run of burrs, now owned and run by James Warner.

Tower Hill is one of the best grain markets in the county, having the advantage of two railroads for shipping purposes. There are two steam elevators situated on the I. & St. L. R. R., and operated by Bullard & Miner and John S. Cooper, and one situated o n the O. & M. R. R., operated by Brownback Bros.: the latter firm also handle grain at other points on this road.

There are here two neat and comfortable churches, Methodist and Presbyterian. Three other churches in the township -- Methodist, and Baptist on section three, and United Brethren on section twenty-nine. The town has a substantial brick schoolhouse, where three teachers are employed.

The following list comprises the business houses of Tower Hill:

Clothing, Dry Goods, Boots, Shoes and general store. -- A. M. Craddick, John Sharrock.

Groceries. -- Gross & Co., Jester & Leighty.

Drugs. -- L. Higginbotham, John Morgan

Physicians. -- G. W. Fringer, John Morgan, John Shelten, J. L. Brown.

Hardware and Lumber dealer. -- R. E. Cannon.

Hardware and Undertaker. -- H. E. Duenweg.

Post-master. -- H. K. Baines.

Boots and Shoes. -- B. W. F. Corley.

Millinery, Dress Maker and Goods. -- Mrs. A. Jones.

Millinery and Dress Maker. -- Miss Mary Baines.

Harness. -- I. K. Story,

Boot and Shoemaker. -- George Bower.

Butchers. -- Robinson & Leighty.

Barber. -- William Whitfield.

Groceries and Restaurant. -- A. J. Reed.

Restaurant. -- G. J. Conrad.

Blacksmith shops. -- Will. Camfield, J. L. Cannon, Freeze & McCullough.

Wagon Maker and Undertaker. -- Fred. Stumpf.

Wagon Maker. -- Elick Pritchett.

Hay Press. -- Morgan Bro's.

Livery. -- James Morgan.

Hotel. -- Joseph Gross.

True Democrat. -- Mit A. Bates.

Tower Hill Lodge, No. 493, A. F. and A. M., received its charter October 3d, 1866, with the following charter members : E. Brownback, W. M.; A. V. Harper, S. W.; John Gunnie, J. W. W. A. Clements, M. Hanson, A. Higginbotham, L. W. Jester, I. W.Muns ill, Ner Middlesworth, P. M. Oliver, J. L. Morten.

The present officers are,: John Ward, W. M.; C. A. Conrad. S.W.; Mike Gunnie, J. W.; G. W. Fringer, Treas'r; H. M. Craddick, Sec.; A. V. Harper, S. D. ; Thomas Bowen, J. D.; Jas. K. P. McCullough, Tyler.

Chromo Lodge, No. 512, Independent Order of Odd Fellows was organized May 8th, 1873. Charter members. -- James Morgan, Geo. Aicle, Gilbert Scovin, John Crook, Wm. Morgan, E. B. Whitehead, J. L. Cannon.

Present Officers. -- Geo. Bowers, Noble Grand ; James A. Jones, Vice Grand; J. L. Cannon, Secretary; Samuel Fugate, Treasurer; Representative to the Grand Lodge: Samuel Fugate; Trustees: Jas. Morgan, Samuel Fugate, John T. Killam, Mike Woods, Wade Morgan.

Knobs Lodge, No. 70, Ancient Order of United Workmen was organized March 31st, 1877. Charter members. -- G. W. Fringer, Jas. Rhodes, Till Weekly, David Brownback, Geo. M. Branden, John Hall, Thomas Bowen, J. L. Brown, Jas. P. McCullough, S. C. Wald en

Present Officers. -- S. W. Dutton, Past Master Workman; W. A. Camfield, Master Workman; John Hast, General Foreman ; Dr. John Morgan, Overseer; Jas. P. McCullough, Recorder; N.W. Lane, Receiver; J. M. Griss, Financier; J. S. Evey, Guide; John Wyands, I. W atchman; J. R. Tilly, O. Watchman; Trustees: L. Warren, L. Wigginbotham, E. Lyford ; I. K. Story, Representative to Grand Lodge. Present membership, 28.

Supervisors since township organization. -- John R. Warren, elected in 1860, re-elected in 1861; J. Thomas, elected in 1862 ; Levi W. Minsel, elected in 1863; C. Eiler, elected in 1864; B. W. F. Corely, elected in 1865, who was elected for 1866; R. H. Pug h, elected in 1867; C. Eiler, elected in 1868; J. R. Warren, elected in 1869, re-elected in 1870-71; R. H. Pugh, elected in 1872; B. W. F. Corley, elected in 1873, re-elected in 1874, 1875 and 1876; N. Neil, elected in 1877; J. E. Lane, elected in 1878; N . Neil, elected in 1879, re-elected in 1880, and is the present incumbent.

Page 276



MR. ANDES, who is now engaged in the grain business at Tower Hill, is a native of the county, and was born in Windsor township, on the 5th of March, 1841. On his father's side he is of German descent, though the family has lived in this township fo r several generations. His great-grandfather emigrated from Germany to America, and settled in the State of Pennsylvania. His grandfather was born in Pennsylvania, and at an early period emigrated to East Tennessee, where Allen Andes, father of the subjec t of this sketch, was born. In the year 1837, Allen Andes, then a young man, came to Illinois and settled in Shelby county. In 1838, be married Elizabeth Davis, who was born in Greenbrier county, Virginia. He began farming on Sand Creek, in Windsor townsh ip. James A. Andes was the third of a family of twelve children. His mother died in Windsor township, and his father in Tower Hill township. He was married in Windsor township, and his home was in that part of the county till he was twenty-five years of a ge. The educational advantages existing in his boyhood were comparatively limited. The schools were held in log school-houses, and had by no means reached their present state of efficiency. He improved his opportunities as best he could, and partly in stu dy by himself acquired the elements of a good education. At the age of eighteen he began teaching on Upper Sand Creek, in Windsor township. Many of his pupils were older and larger than himself. He taught three winters, and then for two terms attended the old seminary at Shelbyville, under C. W. Jerome. He afterwards taught school several years. He has taught in the county twelve winters altogether, in Windsor, Okaw, Tower Hill and Big Spring townships. His marriage took place on the 14th of March, 1865, to Sarah E. Selby, daughter of James M. and Lydia M. Selby. Mrs. Andes was born in Okaw township, and her parents were among the early settlers of that part of the county. Her grandfather came to this county from Kentucky. Her father was born in Kentucky, and was a boy when the family became residents of Shelby county.

Her mother, Lydia M. Skeen, was a native of the state, and was born in Effingham county.

In the fall of 1865, Mr. Andes purchased a farm in Tower Hill township, and has since been a resident of that part of the county. In 1872, he began the grain business at Tower Hill, which he has since carried on. His residence is in the village of Tower H ill, though he owns a farm adjoining the town. In his political belief he was originally a Republican. By his first vote for President, cast in 1864, he assisted to elect Lincoln to his second term. He continued a Republican till 1874, when he became conv inced that the legislation of the country was conducted in favor of capital and to the injury of the laboring and productive classes, and he then joined the Greenback party. He was one of the first members of that political organization in his part of the county, and has remained steadfast in his adherence to its principles. He is known as a man of strict personal integrity and business capacity. At different times he has filled the office of assessor, collector and clerk of Tower Hill township. He has tw o children, Luella and Minnie Andes. For a number of years be has been connected with the Methodist Church. He is a man of liberal opinions and progressive views, and is popular as a business man.


DR. FRINGER, who for the last fifteen years has been engaged in the practice of medicine at Tower Hill, is a native of Carroll county, Maryland, and was born on the 24th of March, 1834. His ancestry is traced back to Germany, His grandfather, Nicho las Fringer, emigrated from Germany to America about the time of the Revolutionary war. George Fringer, the father of the subject of this biography, was born in Carroll county, Maryland; was raised there, and in the same county married Susan Null, also a native of Carroll county. George Fringer was a miner by occupation, and for a long number of years ran a flouring and saw mill on Piney creek, in Carroll county. After giving up the mil1 he retired to a farm two Miles and a half distant where he died. Dr. G. W. Fringer was the third of a family of nine children. His birthplace was the old mill site on Piney creek, and the first thirteen years of his life were spent in the same neighborhood. After his father's death he left home and began the struggle of l ife on his own account. He was obliged to rely mostly on has own efforts for an education. In the subscription schools then in existence in Maryland, tuition cost something, and he only had ordinary advantages for attending school. For a time he attended the seminary at Taneytown, Maryland, in the neighborbood of which place the family resided. In after years a more comprehensive education was gained by reading and self-study. He first came West in the year 1851 when seventeen, and was in several differen t States, including Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky, Illinois and Missouri, but returned to Maryland. After growing up he worked for some time at the carpenter's trade. When only twenty-two he was offered a position in charge of a distillery at Emittsburg, Freder ick county, Maryland. He accepted the offer and conducted the distillery successfully four years, receiving for those days very liberal wages. From Emmittsburg he went to Baltimore to superintend a similar establishment in that city, but the firm by whom he was employed be-

Page 277

coming financially embarrassed he came West with the intention of starting a rectifying house at St. Joseph, Missouri. This was in 1860. He only remained two weeks in St. Joseph. Becoming dissatisfied with the distilling business he determined to have not hing more to do with it, and came to Shelbyville where he worked at the carpentering business till 1862. In August of that year he enlisted in the One Hundred and Fifteenth regiment, Illinois Volunteers. At Camp Butler, three or four weeks after his enlis tment, he was taken sick and returned to Shelbyville, where he was in had health and unable to work for nearly a year. About six months after his enlistment he was honorably discharged from the service.

His marriage had taken place on the 13th of February, 1862, to Martha V. Cover, daughter of Jacob Cover, who was born near Gettysburg, in Adams county, Pennsylvania. His long sickness had contributed to place him in a discouraging financial condition, and the fact that he was unable to endure any physical labor rendered the prospect rather gloomy for the future. In the midst of these discouragements, through the generosity of some friends at Shelbyville who had confidence in his business ability, he was g iven an opportunity to go into the drug business at Shelbyville. He carried on this business successfully from the start, and the first year (at the expiration of which time be sold the store) cleared nearly two thousand dollars. He applied himself to bus iness closely, and at the same time found leisure to read medicine, the study of which he had resolved upon. His preliminary medical studies were carried on under the direction of Dr. E. E. Waggoner, of Shelbyville. He attended his first course of lecture s during the winter of 1864-65 at the St. Louis Medical College. In the winter of 1865-6 he attended lectures at the Rush Medical College at Chicago. In the spring of 1866 he located at Tower Hill, and began his professional practice. He graduated from th e Missouri Medical College in March, 1869. He has three children: William R., Mary V.,, and Effie S. Fringer. His political convictions have always attached him to the democratic party. He has taken an active interest in politics, and indeed, in all respe cts has been an active and public-spirited citizen. His attention has been closely devoted to the practice of his profession, and he has never cared to occupy any public position. During his residence in Shelby county he has made many friends, and is well liked both for his personal qualities as a gentleman and for his abilities as a physician. He is a member of the Presbyterian church. He is a firm friend of education and of every enterprise calculated to advance the best interests of the community. His record as a successful physician is well known to the people of the county.


JOHN H. HALL, a view of whose farm residence in Tower Hill township may be seen on another page, is a native of Shelby county, and was born near Tower Hill on the 19th of February, 1858. His grandfather, William Hall, was one of the early settlers of Shelby county. He was born in Kentucky, and settled in the neighborhood of Shelbyville, when the residents of that city were very few in number. He died in Rose township, within four miles of Shelbyville. Asbury Hall, the father of the subject of this sketch, was born and raised near Shelbyville, and married Ardeliza Amlin, a native of Ohio, and daughter of John Amlin. After their marriage they settled on a farm a mile and a half south of Town Hill. The milk sickness then prevailed greatly throughout t hat part of the county; and six months after the birth of their only child, John H. Hall, both were taken sick and died -- Mr. Hall's mother dying on the day succeeding the death of his father. This was in the fall of 1858. They were buried in one grave. Their unfortunate death left Mr. Hall an orphan at the age of six months. Till he was ten years of age his home was with his grandmother Hall in Rose township, and after her death he went to live with his father's brother, Anson Hall, in Ridge township. H e lived in Rose township nine years, and in the schools of that part of the county obtained the rudiments of a good education. In the spring of 1877, when he was nineteen, he moved on the old farm which belonged to his father, in section 27 of Tower Hill township. He resided there two years, and in the spring of 1879 he moved to his present farm, where he has since lived. He was married on the 30th of April, 1879, to Miss Mary Elliott, daughter of Dixon D. Elliott. She was born a short distance south-east of Pana, in Christian county, and was raised mostly in Tower Hill township. Mr. Hall is known as one of the enterprising farmers of the township, and is the owner of two hundred and ninety acres of land. In politics he is a republican. By his vote in 188 0 he contributed to the election of Garfield. He has considerable energy and enterprise, and his name is worthy of a place among the rising, young men of Shelby county.


OF Tower Hill, one of the most enterprising business men of Shelby county, was born in Tower Hill township a mile and a half south-west of Tower Hill, on the 16th of July, 1844. His father, Thos. W. Craddick, was of Irish descent, and was born in M ontgomery county, Maryland. He married Susan Livers, native of the District of Columbia. She was of German origin. A few days after his marriage, Thomas W. Craddick emigrated to Illinois, and settled in Shelby county. This was in 1836; he was one of the e arly settlers of the county. Soon after he came he built a sawmill on Robinson creek, the first in that part of the county. He subsequently settled in Tower Hill township, and died on the 21st of January, 1868. For a long number of years he was justice of the peace, filling that office the most of the time he resided in the county. He was a man highly esteemed for his fairness and honesty, and had many friends among the old residents of the county. Mr. Craddick's mother died at Tower Hill in June, 1874.

The subject of this sketch was the ninth of a family of eleven children. He was raised in the neighborhood of Tower Hill; he attended the common-schools in the vicinity, and after growing up, worked on the Indianapolis & St. Louis R. R., and with the mone y thus obtained attended the Shelbyville Seminary two terms, and thus secured a more thorough education. Early in the spring of 1869 he went to Windsor, and was learning the telegraph business at that place, when he was called home by his father's sicknes s. After his father's death he received the appointment as station agent on the I. & St. L. R. R. at Tower Hill, and was also made express agent and post-master. In November, 1868, he married Annie E. Moore, daughter of John F. Moore, of Towner Hill. She was a native of Kentucky. Soon after his marriage he began the merchantile business. In this he found his true vocation, and he has since carried it on with success. In partnership with Mr. Moore, he opened a small grocery store, to which he attended in c onnection with his duties as express agent. The business was gradually enlarged; other articles were added, till the stock of goods became of a general character. After continuing in business with his father in-law about two years, he bought his interest and embarked in business on his own account. At the same time he purchased his present store -- one of the best business properties in Tower Hill. With the exception of about ten months, he has been carrying on the merchantile business ever since, and his name is familiar to the

Page 278
business men of Shelby county. For the last five or six years he has also been engaged in farming, and his residence is on his farm, adjoining Tower Hill, on the south. He has excellent business capacity, and for several years has been successfully engage d in trading in stock. He has had five children; the oldest, named Willey, died in infancy; the others are, Vessey, Arnitz, Etta and Marshall Travis.

In his political sympathies, he has been attached to the democratic party ever since he has been old enough to take part in politics. He has been a staunch supporter of the democracy, and on general elections, has never voted any other ticket. He has been actively identified with the interests of Tower Hill, and has done everything in his power to promote the growth of that thriving town. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and is connected with Tower Hill Lodge No. 493. Though still a comparatively young man, he has been successfully engaged in business for a number of years, and has made a record as an energetic, enterprising and reliable business man. He began life with no advantages of education, nor opportunities for business beyond those which fall to the lot of all men in common, and he must be classed among those indomitable men who fight their way to success by dint of their own resolution. A view of his farm and residence in Tower Hill appears on another page.


LIKE many of the leading citizens of Shelby county, Mr. Miller is a Kentuckian by birth. He was born within seven miles of Jamestown, in Russell county, Kentucky, May 29th, 1844. On his father's side, his ancestors were from Virginia. His father, A dam Miller, was born in Virginia, and came, when a young man, to Kentucky in the early settlement of that state. His mother, whose maiden name was Jane Mason, was born and raised in Clinton county, Kentucky. His father, who was a farmer, died when the sub ject of this sketch was ten years old. His mother subsequently married T. W. Vermillion, and moved to Shelby county, Illinois. David O. Miller was the oldest of four children by his father's marriage with Jane Mason. At that time in Kentucky children had only ordinary advantages for obtaining an education, and most of his schooling was obtained after his removal to Illinois. In the fall of 1858, when Mr. Miller was fourteen, the family moved to Shelby county and settled in Rural township, five miles north of Tower Hill. At seventeen he left home and worked on a farm for himself. August fifteenth, 1862, he enlisted in Co. G, 115th Illinois regiment, in which he served three years, or till the close of the war. From Camp Butler, Springfield, the regiment we nt to Cincinnati, and from there to Kentucky. It served in the states of Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama, South Carolina and Virginia. The regiment was in the army of the Cumberland, and took part in the various movements of that part of the army. H e was in several battles, among which was that of Chickamauga or Missionary Ridge; Nashville,and Franklin, Tennessee; and Resaca, Georgia, beside a considerable number of lesser engagements. The regiment was at Cumberland Gap, when Lee surrendered. He was honorably discharged at Camp Harker, Tennessee, June 11th, 1865, and mustered out at Camp Butler, Springfield. He returned to Rural township, and went to farming. March 21st, 1867, he married Eliza A. Smith, born September 21st, 1850, in Tower Hill towns hip, Shelby county, daughter of Samuel Smith, a native of Bourbon county, Kentucky, and one of the old settlers and leading citizens of Shelby county. His mother's name was Margaret Weakley. She was the oldest of three children. In the spring of 1867, he moved on his present farm, where he has since resided, and is known as an enterprising and successful farmer. He owns 372 acres of land in sections 25 and 36 of Tower Hill township, and part in Rose township. Mr. and Mrs. Miller have had six children. Cor a, the oldest, was born April 27th, 1868, and died at the age of three years and two months. The others are Orra, born June 27th, 1870; Olive, born February 4th, 1872; Samuel E., born October 18th, 1874; Mary Pearl, born December 26th, 1876; and David Wil sie, born July 5th, 1880. He has always been a democrat, voting first for president for McClellan in 1864, while in the army. In local elections he has felt himself free to support the best man for the office, but otherwise has always voted the democratic ticket. Both he and his wife are members of the Christian church. He is a man who stands well in the township. A view of his farm appears on another page.


SAMUEL SMITH, one of the old settlers of Shelby county, is a Kentuckian by birth. His ancestors, on his father's side, came from Maryland. His father, Nathan Smith, was born in Maryland, and when a young man emigrated to Kentucky, and in that state married Mary Killam. The subject of this sketch was the third of a family of six children; he was born in Nicholas county, Kentucky, October 1st, 1823. In the year 1830, when he was seven years old, his father died. In the year 1831 the family removed fr om Kentucky to Illinois, accompanying Mr. Smith's grandfather, Peter Killam. His mother purchased a piece of land three miles west of Shelbyville, where the family lived seven or eight years, and then moved to the neighborhood of Prairie Bird, in Ridge to wnship. His mother died in January, 1880, when past eighty years of age. Mr. Smith remembers Shelbyville, as he first saw it, when composed of a few log buildings, which stood on the corners surrounding the place where the old court-house was afterward bu ilt. The court-house was not then in existence, its construction being commenced a year or two after he came to the county. In those days the county was thinly settled, and possessed few of the advantages of civilization. A horse-mill was in operation on Robinson creek, but its capacity was limited. He made several trips to a mill at Springfield and to a steam-mill which stood in the southern part of Christian county. The prairies were covered with tall grass, and these journeys to mill were made mostly a t night, on account of the horse-flies, which were very troublesome. The schools were subscription schools, held in log cabins. A teacher would be employed to teach a short season in the winter. His mother sent him to school whenever opportunity offered, but still his advantages for school were limited. After schools became more plentiful, he was obliged to remain at home and assist in the work of the farm. The family had settled on the prairie south of Prairie Bird, and the improvements on the farm were made by Mr. Smith and his brothers.

He lived at home till he was twenty-six, when his marriage occurred (on the 13th of December, 1849), to Margaret Weakley, a native of Ohio, and daughter of Benedict Weakley. After his marriage, he went to farming for himself, and moved to the farm which h e still occupies in Tower Hill township. This farm was one of the first settled in that neighborhood, and was improved by James Abbott. The death of his first wife took place in September, 1855. His second marriage was on the 16th of May, 1857, to Sarah A . McCullough, daughter of Samuel McCullough. She was born in Clark county, Kentucky. Her father settled in Shelby county, Illinois in 1852. Mr. Smith has seven children living; -- Eliza Ann, the wife of David O. Miller; Ner Smith who is farm-

Page 279

ing in Tower Hill township; Mary Frances, who married William J. Pugh; John Thomas Smith; Lura E, now Mrs. Norman Faught; Nathan Carroll Smith, and Edward Smith: the last four are by his second marriage. Three other children by his second marriage are dec eased: William, Samuel and Frankie, who died in infancy; and Belle, the youngest daughter, who died on the 25th of November, 1879, in her sixteenth year. In his politics Mr. Smith has always been a democrat. Throughout his life he has closely and consiste ntly adhered to the principles of Democracy. His first vote for President was cast for James K. Polk, in 1842, and he has voted for every subsequent democratic candidate for president. For several years he has served as township trustee. Both he and his w ife are members of the Christian Church. With this denomination he has been connected about thirty years. He has been one of the members of the Christian Church at Prairie Bird since its organization. During his long residence in the county, he has comman ded the respect of all classes of the community. He is a man of liberal disposition, of enterprising and progressive views, and is known as a public-spirited citizen. His residence on section eleven is one of the most substantial and attractive farm-build ings in Tower Hill township. He has lived in the county for nearly fifty years, and his name deserves a prominent record in these pages as an old resident and a representative citizen.


HAS been a resident of Tower Hill since 1870; he was born in Breckonshire, Wales, on the 25th of April, 1836. His father was named William Morgan. In the year 1840, when he was four years of age, the family came to America, remaining in the state o f New York one year; they then removed to Ohio, and settled in Licking county. In 1854 they became residents of Delaware county, Ohio, and Dr. Morgan's home was in that part of the State till 1863. After securing the elements of a good education in the co mmon schools, at the age of seventeen he entered the Ohio Wesleyan University, at Delaware, Ohio, in which he pursued a literary course, interrupted by intervals, of teaching school, --the means by which he secured the funds to prosecute his studies. He h ad determined to enter the medical profession, and in 1859 began his preliminary studies under Dr. Bancroft, at Granville, Ohio. In the fall of 1861 he entered the Starling Medical College, at Columbus, Ohio, and after attending two courses of lectures wa s graduated from that institution in the spring of 1853. The war of the rebellion was then in progress, and he left the walls of the college to take part in active service on the tented field. Immediately after receiving his diploma he was commissioned as assistant-surgeon of the 32d Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry. He joined the regiment at Milliken's Bend, Louisiana, and took part in the campaign which resulted in the capture of Vicksburg, in July, 1863. The succeeding winter was spent at Vicksburg. In May, 1864, he resigned his commission in the 32d Ohio, and was commissioned as surgeon of the 172d Ohio. This was one of the hundred day regiments. During his connection with it he was stationed at Gallipolis, Ohio and after four months' service was must ered out to become assistant-surgeon of the 2d Ohio Heavy Artillery, with which he served till the close of the war, principally in East Tennessee. He was mustered out at Nashville, Tennessee in August, 1865.

Returning to Gallipolis, Ohio, he began the practice of medicine at that place, His marriage occurred there in December, 1865, to Miss Mary C. Clendennin, a native of that town. In 1870 he removed to Shelby county, settled at Tower Hill, and has since bee n successfully engaged in the practice of his profession. Since 1876 he has also carried on the drug business. He has always been a republican in politics, casting his first vote for president for Abraham Lincoln, in 1860; he has since voted for every can didate who has subsequently been elected to the chief magistracy of the nation. He is a member of the Presbyterian denomination and is an elder in the church at Tower Hill. He has one child, Annie C. Morgan. He has been chosen to several positions in the village and township of Tower Hill. He is one of the most active members of the order of A. O. U. W., at Tower Hill. Since his residence in the county he has made a record which deserves honorable mention in these pages, both as an able and conscientious physician and a private citizen of the highest character.


S. L. DOVE was born in Fairfield county, Ohio, March 3, 1854. His grandfather, Henry Dove, was a Virginian, and came to Ohio when a young man and settled in Fairfield county. Elijah Dove, father of the subject of this biography, was born and raised in Ohio, and married Mary Small, a native of the state of Pennsylvania. S. L. Dove was the youngest son of a large family of children. His mother is deceased, but his father is still living in Ohio. He was raised in Fairfield county. His home was eightee n miles south-east of Columbus, and ten from Lancaster, the county seat of Fairfield county. The neighborhood in which he lived had excellent schools, and he enjoyed good advantages for obtaining an education. For three months he was a student at the mili tary academy at Columbus, Ohio, and also attended the Pleasantville academy. He has taught one term of school in Ohio and two in this state. He was living at home employed at farming, till 1877, when he came to this state with the intention of remaining b ut a short time. He had three brothers living in Shelby county, one of whom, T. F. Dove, was engaged in the practice of law at Shelbyville. In November, 1877 he took charge of a school which had been organized in a new district (No. 6), in Rural township , and taught five months. In the spring of 1878, he took charge of his brother's farm in section two, Tower Hill township. In the winter of 1879-80 he taught another term of school of four months in the same district in Rural township, in which he had for merly taught. On the 13th of June, 1880, he was married to Emma C. Sittler, a native of Shelby county, Illinois, daughter of Jacob Sittler. He is now engaged in farming in Tower Hill township. He is a sincere and earnest democrat in politics. His first vo te for President was cast for Samuel J. Tilden in 1876. He is one of the active and energetic young men of Shelby county, and since his residence in the county has made many friends.


ONE of the young and enterprising farmers of Tower Hill township, was born in Prussia, not far from Berlin, March 29th, 1840. His father was John Wolf. In 1859, when he was nine years old, the family emigrated to America, and settled in Fairfield c ounty, Ohio, where he was raised, and obtained a good education; he came to Rural township, Shelby county, Illinois in 1870. November 10th, 1874 he married Mary D. Pugh, daughter of Robert Pugh, who settled in Shelby county in 1819, and still resides in T ower Hill Township. He purchased the farm which he now owns, which he subsequently sold to improve a farm in section 9, on which he lived three years, and then moved back to his present farm, in section 5, which he bought back again. He owns 210 1/2 acres of land. He has two children, James W. and Lena Inez Wolf. He has always been a democrat in politics, He and his wife are both members of the Methodist Episcopal church. He has stood well in the community as a good citizen and a successful farmer.

Page 280

|| Return to Main Site Index ||