(Shelby County)

RIDGE TOWNSHIP (Shelby County)





THE township of Ridge, as known on the Government survey, is town 12, range 3 E. It is bounded on the north by Pickaway, east by Okaw, south by Rose, and west by Rural. It contains an area of 36 square miles, or 23,040 acres of land, the greater pa rt of which in early days was covered with a beautiful growth of timber, mostly oak, interspersed with walnut, hickory, ash, and hackberry, most of which has fallen before the axe of the sturdy pioneer.

The north-western portion is mostly prairie, and is under a high state of cultivation. Here are some of the best stock farms in Shelby county. The soil is of yellow clay, mixed with sand near the streams, but as we go from the streams we find a deep and p roductive soil.

Drainage. -- It is drained by Robinson creek and its tributaries, entering on the north-west corner of section 2, winding southward through sections 11, 14, 21, 22, 27, 28, 33, and passing out on the south-west corner of section thirty-four, furnis hing a good supply of water for stock purposes.

The first land entries were made by Levi Casey on the 4th day of March, 1825, of the W. 1/2, N. W. 1/4, section 22, 80 acres; on the 27th day of April, 1826, John Lee entered the W. 1/2, N. E. 1/4, section 28, 80 acres; Thomas Robinson entered the E. 1/2, S. W. 1/4, section 27, and the W. 1/2, S. W. 1/4, section 23, 160 acres, on the 20th day of December, 1826.

The first log house in the township was built by Thomas Robinson, who settled here in 1823, on section 23, on the south or east side of the creek, from which it derived its name. He was a native of Tennessee; he lived here a few years and then moved to Mi ssouri ; though none of his descendants live in the county, his name will always be remembered by his "monument", Robinson creek.

Fountain Robinson, who was a nephew of Thomas, came about the same time; he "squatted" on a piece of land north of his uncle's, built a cabin, and the first winter he and his wife lived in the same, without chinking or daubing with mud, as was the custom; remaining here but a short time, when he also moved to Missouri.

Daniel Francisco located and made an improvement on Robinson creek in 1823, where he lived for six years, then moved to what is now Okaw township. Thomas McKnight came shortly after, and settled in the timber above Thomas Robinson's in 1830; he sold

Page 268

out to Isaac Killam, who lived here until his death in 1878, leaving quite a property accumulated by thrift and economy. He was one of the prominent farmers of the county.

John Lee, a native of Kentucky, settled here in 1823 on section 27. He afterwards moved to Texas. The place is now owned by Henry Martz. Levi Casey settled on the west side of Robinson creek timber in 1824. He was a native of South Carolina. In 1825 he e ntered the W. 1/2, of the N. W. 1/4, section 22, opened up a farm and resided on the same until his death, leaving quite a family of children; several of them now live in the county.

James Virden settled on section 33, in or about 1824, on the west side of the creek, now known as the "Small place." He afterwards moved into Flat Branch township, where he died. Jonathan C. Corley, a native of Virginia, settled here in 1824, on the land where John Weakley now resides. He lived here about three years, then moved north of Shelbyville about one mile, where he lived four or five years; he then moved down into Cold Spring, where he died; he was the father of Bryant Corley, who came with his parents from Virginia at the age of 18. Two years after he married Miss Elizabeth Lee, daughter of John Lee; he built a cabin and began an improvement on section 34 ; he continued the cultivation of land until 1833, when he sold out and settled in the nor th part of Rose on section 3, at the mouth of the Willow branch. He lived here until his death in 1874. His wife survives him and resides with her son Nathan in Pickaway township.

Ralls Calvert was born in Culpepper county, Virginia, though principally raised in Kentucky. He married the daughter of widow Sarah Turner, and after the birth of their first child, they with his wife's mother and family emigrated to Illinois in 1825, and settled on the west side of the creek. The first winter after their arrival here was spent in the cabin of Daniel Francisco, making a household of three families in one cabin 14 by 16. (The Widow Turner afterward bought the property and lived upon the fa rm until her death in 1864.) In the spring of 1827 Calvert began his improvements, and opened one of the best farms in the township. In early days his cabin was the one selected by the Methodist circuit rider as the place to hold meetings, and for years t he regular preaching for the neighborhood was held here. He raised a family of four children; William, the oldest boy, was born in this township in 1827, and is now one of the leading farmers, and also proprietor of the old homestead; E. L. Calvert, the y oungest, born in 1833, is farming near the old place; they are the only surviving members of the family.

Smith Scribner from Tennessee settled here in 1827 on the east side of the creek, where widow Allen now resides. His sons, Edward, Thomas, Solomon, Wesley, and Lewis married here and were among the early settlers. Most of them afterward removed to Flat Br anch.

Richard Howard settled the place now owned by C. P. Miller as early as 1828; he afterwards moved to Rose township. Alexander Roberts, a native of Delaware, settled in Kentucky in 1806, where he married. He came to Illinois in October, 1829, and located on section 23. He had a family of ten children; there were thirteen in the family, and all lived in one small cabin built of hewed logs for two or three years. The old folks had a bed of early day style, and the children slept on the floor on deer skins. He made this his home until his death; five of his children reside in the county. Burrell Roberts the second has lived in Shelbyville since 1836, and was county clerk 26 years.

Litton Smith bought the James Virden improvements about 1830, lived here a few years, and sold out to John Small.

Isaac Killam, son of Peter Killam emigrated from Kentucky to Illinois about 1830, and settled in this township, where he has become one of its thrifty farmers and stock-raisers.

Peter Killam was a native of Maryland. When young he moved to Kentucky, married and reared a family, then emigrating to Illinois. In 1831, he purchased the farm of Len Mosley, and became one of the permanent residents. He died in 1838 at the age of 60.

Alexander C. James, who was born in Maryland, settled here in 1831, on the west side of the creek. In 1833 he purchased the improvements started by John Howard, who " squatted" on section 3 in 1831, for which he paid him the sum of forty dollars. James en tered the land, and was a successful farmer. He was not a member of any church, yet contributed liberally to the building of churches and support of God's Holy Word. He died in 1870, leaving his wife, who resides with her son William, at the old home, at the ripe old age of seventy-five.

John T. Killam, one of our enterprising farmers and early settlers, knowing all things earthly must pass away, and having a warm feeling toward the home of his childhood, and wishing the little ones who will step upon the stage of action, when we are gone , to see and remember Grandpa's Home, had the same lithographed, and a view may be seen on another page of this work.

Natham Killam, a successful farmer and stock raiser, and breeder of blooded stock, came here as early as 1836, when what are now beautiful farms, was a wilderness; but like the architect who plans, having the same in his mind, has seen his plans realized in the improvement of the country of his choice. A view of his residence, together with a portion of his stock farm, may be found in this work. First Birth. -- The first child born within the limits of Ridge, was Willis, the son of James and Maria Lee, in the summer of 1823. The first death on the creek was Rachel Virden, wife of Levi Virden, in 1826.

The first schoolhouse built was near the state road, north-west of where James Virden settled, on section 33, about 1835; and the Elm Spring school-house was built at the same time. This house stood about 80 yards from the spring.

The first church built was on section 34, the German Reformed. The Albright Denominational Church on section 9, was built in 1877.

The first school was taught in a house, that stood in the Old Camp Ground, near the widow Turner's place, and Dr. Hayden was the teacher.

In the year 1829, Smith Scribner built the first mill; it was run by horse-power: each person who had his grist to grind, hitched in his team and ground his own grist, the miller taking toll for payment. Previous to the erection of this mill, the early se ttlers had to go some forty miles to mill in Fayette county. Robert H. Craig, a native of Kentucky, was the first to venture out into the prairie, to begin farming ; for in this place, like all others, the early settlers clung to the timber. Game was abun dant, such as deer, wild turkey, prairie hens, quail, rabbits, and with the night prowling " varments " wolves, opossum, raccoon, mink, and the never to be caught a sleep weasel.


Jonathan Howard was the first to locate in the vicinity of this village. He settled on section 30, as early as 1831, the place now owned by Samuel Warner. The village is located on section 19. The first house was erected by Edward Armstrong. Mr. Fulton ca rried on the first store. About 1847 or '48 L. Walker began merchandizing here. He soon after secured the establishment of a post-office, and was the first post-master. A. V. Harper had a

Page 269

store at Lone Oak, near the John Small place, as early as 1850. He subsequently moved to Prairie Bird, where he merchandized a number of years in partnership with Edward Armstrong.

The present business places are: -

Grocery Stores. -- Isaiah Henton and W. G. Baker.

Blacksmiths. -- Henry Shade and Caleb Runkel.

Wagon Maker. -- Isaiah Henton.

Physicians. -- George A. Smith and Amos P. Rockey.

Churches. -- Presbyterian and Christian.


A small village situated in this township, on or about Section 11.

Business Houses.--

Wagon Maker.--John Thurman.

Blacksmith.--John Lacy.

Physician.--William J. Thurman.

Church.--Christian denomination.

The Widow Royse, who came from Kentucky in 1830, settled on or near the present site of the Antioch church. By thrift and industry she reared a family of seven children. The old homestead is now owned by John Barrickman. John Royse, a stepson of the widow , came with her, and located south of the Elm Spring place, now owned by John Weakly. He lived here a number of years, and was killed by the bursting of a boiler in a saw mill which he was operating, the property of himself and son.

John Small, from Penn, settled his place as early as 1838, and resided here until his death. In the same year came John Hart from Penn, who settled on section 34.

We subjoin a list of the Supervisors since the organization of the township: -- David Ewing, elected in 1860, re-elected in 1861, 1862, 1863, 1864, 1865, and 1866; E. L Calvert, elected in 1867; H. H. Carpenter, elected in 1868; E L. Calvert, elected in 1 869, re-elected in 1870, 1871, 1872, and 1873; R. Roessler, elected in 1874; J. Funk, elected in 1875; J. M. Mercer, elected in 1876, re-elected in 1877; E. L. Calvert, elected in 1878; J. L. Small, elected in 1879; E. L. Calvert, elected in 1880, and is the present incumbent.



M. SMITH, now one of the old settlers of Ridge township, is a Kentuckian by birth, and was born in Nicholas county of that state, January 30, 1820. His father, Nathan Smith was born in Maryland, removed to Kentucky, and April 22, 1819, married Mary Killam, who was born in Nicholas county, Kentucky, December 2, 1799. Nathan Smith died in Kentucky, August 15, 1830. His widow died in Shelby county, January 30, 1880. William Smith was the oldest of six children. In the fall of 1831, the family moved to Shelby county, Illinois. Mr. Smith's grandfather, Peter Killam, moved to the county at the same time. The subject of this sketch was at that time nearly twelve years of age. After living seven years west of Shelbyville, his mother entered 240 acres of la nd a short distance south of Prairie Bird, in Ridge township, and afterward bought 120 additional acres. Mr. Smith, in the company with his two brothers, Samuel and Daniel Smith, built a house and improved this land, every year fencing forty acres. On the 2d of March, 1843, he married Lucinda Virden, who was born on Shoal Creek, April 17, 1823, the daughter of James and Nancy Virden. Her father was born in South Carolina, and her mother in Alabama. The same month Mr. Smith moved to his present residence i n Section 31, of Ridge township. This place was first settled by Imri Jackson. A small cabin and a garden patch were the only improvements at the time he purchased it. He went to work with industry to improve a farm. He was then considered an excellent ha nd at cutting rails and breaking prairie. He has now lived on this place about thirty-eight years. Mr. and Mrs. Smith have had five children: Sarah, the oldest, died at the age of three years ; Josephus, the oldest son, is farming in Tower-hill township; Nancy A., now the wife of R. H. Bullington, resides in Rose township ; Mary, the next daughter, died in February, 1867, at the age of thirteen; the remaining daughter is Elizabeth. In his politics Mr. Smith is a democrat. In 1844, he cast his first vote f or President for James K. Polk, and has voted the democratic ticket ever since. He has never desired to hold any public office, and his attention has been wholly given to his business affairs. He bears the reputation of a peaceable and law abiding citizen , who has lived on good terms with his neighbors. He and his wife have been members of the Christian Church for more than thirty years, and have been connected with the church of that denomination at Prairie Bird ever since its organization. His mother wa s a member of the first Christian Church ever established in Shelby county, and at the time of her death was the last survivor of the original members. Mr. Smith retains in his memory many interesting incidents concerning the early settlement of the count y. In his boyhood there was a horse-mill occasionally throughout the county. A water-mill was built on Robinson Creek, to which the settlers were accustomed to go, carrying their grist on horseback, after the old-fashioned Kentucky way. It was a common th ing in about 1841 or 1843, to take wheat to St. Louis, where it sold at from thirty to forty cents a bushel. This was the market where groceries, salt and other necessary articles were obtained.

Page 270

ELISHA LINDER CALVERT, who for several terms has represented Ridge township in the Board of Supervisors, was born in Ridge township, July 4th, 1833. He is a lineal descendant of George Calvert, Lord Baltimore, the founder of the colony of Maryland. From Maryland the Calverts scattered to other states. Mr. Calvert's great-grandfather, whose name was George Calvert, married Lydia Rogers, and emigrated from New Jersey to Culpepper county, Virginia, where John Calvert, grandfather of the su bject of this sketch, was born, in the year 1773. He married Sarah Adams, who was born in the same county in 1777. She was a daughter of Thomas Adams. Her mother's family name was Henry. They removed to Bourbon county, Kentucky, in 1809, and to Hardin cou nty, Kentucky, in 1823, where John Calvert died in 1850, and his widow in 1867. Mr. Calvert's father, Ralls Calvert, was born on the 15th of March, 1804, and consequently was about five years of age on the removal of the family to Kentucky. He was raised in Kentucky, and about the year 1823 or '24 married Levina Turner, who was born in Hardin county, Kentucky, January 17th, 1805. She was also descended from a family connected with the early settlement of Maryland. Her great-grandfather, John Richardson, w as born in Worcester county, Maryland. He was drowned in Chesapeake bay about the year 1783. He had three daughters; the oldest, Ann, was born in Worcester county, Maryland, February 26th, 1756. She married Charles Sawyer, who was born in England, Novembe r, 1755. At the age of seventeen he went from England to South America, and thence to Worcester county, Maryland. Charles and Ann (Richardson) Sawyer settled in Hardin county, Kentucky, in 1795. The former died in Kentucky, and his widow moved to Shelby county, Illinois, where she died in 1834, at the age of seventy-eight. Of their nine children, five of whom were boys and four girls, Sarah Sawyer was the mother of Levina Turner. She was born in Maryland, April 22d, 1786; accompanied her parents to Kentu cky; and from there, in 1826, moved to Shelby county, Illinois, where she died March 29th, 1864.

One child, a daughter, was born in Kentucky to Ralls and Levina Calvert, and then in the fall of 1826 they emigrated to Illinois, and settled in Shelby county. For the first year the home of the family was on section 33 of the present Ridge township, and the latter part of the year 1827 a permanent settlement was made on section 15 of the same township. At that time the population of the county was very small, and the number of families in what is now Ridge township could not have exceeded more than ten o r twelve, nearly all of whom came about the same time with the Calverts. The settlements were confined to the timber. The prairie was uncultivated, and at that time no expectations were entertained that it would ever be brought under cultivation. Mr. Calv ert remembers hearing, in his boyhood, a party of early settlers discussing the future prospects of the country. His father predicted that when the boys then living should become as old as himself, they would see Robinson creek fenced completely in on bot h sides. This prophecy was met with derision. It was thought that scattering settlements might be made along the timber, but that the prairie would always be a range for cattle. Mr. Calvert's father died on the 17th of March, 1847, and his mother on the 3 0th of April, 1880. The latter was born January 17th, 1805 and at the time of her death was upwards of seventy-five years of age. Both were mem-

Page 271

bers of the Methodist church from an early period of their lives, and at the time of his mother's death she had been connected with the Methodist denomination longer than any other person then living in Shelby county. The house of the Calverts was the usu al place for holding the early Methodist meetings, and was the frequent resort of traveling Methodist ministers. As class-leader and exhorter, and an earnest and active Methodist, Ralls Calvert did much to promote the cause of religion, and the interests of the Methodist denomination. His personal character was beyond reproach, and he lived without an enemy. He had considerable mental force, but was retiring and modest in his disposition. He was a democrat in politics, but took little part in public affai rs, though he acted as justice of the peace, and county commissioner. He came to the county without any means. The money with which to purchase the first horse he ever owned, was accumulated by working at thirty-seven and a half cents a day. At his death he was, for those times, in good circumstances. He had six children, of whom four, (Mahala, now deceased, William, Thomas, who died in 1854, and Elisha Linder) reached years of maturity.

When his father died Mr. Calvert was in his thirteenth year At that time educational advantages were poor in comparison with those of the present day. All the schools were, of course, subscription, or pay schools. The first school which he attended was in a building constructed of round logs. A log conveniently left out on the side formed the only apology for a window. The benches were made by splitting a log in two, and fastening supports to the round side. A plank secured to the side of the room formed the writing desk. The course of instruction was meager and limited; grammar was not taught at all. His home was on the old homestead place till his marriage, on the 23d of March, 1854, to Serena A. Marts, who was born in Sullivan County, Indiana, on the 1 1th of August, 1835. Her father, Chamberlin Marts, was a native of Kentucky, and her mother, whose maiden name was Emily Pound, of Indiana. Her father moved with the family to this county in the fall of 1850, first settling in Rose township, and the follo wing year in Ridge. Previous to his marriage, at the first opening of the land office, after its close consequent on the building of the Illinois Central railroad, Mr. Calvert had secured one hundred and twenty acres of land in section 9 of Ridge township . After living on this land one year, and making some improvements, he sold it for $13.00 an acre; and for $15.00 an acre, purchased 176 acres, which now comprise part of his present farm. He is now the owner of 216 acres of land in Ridge township, and 12 0 in Flat Branch. He believes in progressive and modern methods of agriculture. He has made a specialty of extensively raising Poland China Hogs, and has made preparations to go into the business of raising short horn cattle. He has had eight children, al l of whom are now living. Their names are as follows: Lydia F., now the wife of Calvin L. Smith; William T. Calvert, a farmer of Flat Brach township; Nancy Jane; Edward Cyrus; Julia Ann; Charles Turner; Cecilius R. and Elisha Linder Calvert, junior.

He was brought up to believe in the principles of the democratic party. His first vote for president was cast for James Buchanan, in 1856. In later years he found much to oppose in the policies of both the old political organizations, and in 1874 he becam e an independent. On the formation of the National Greenback party he was one of the twelve men in Ridge township who in 1876 voted for Peter Cooper for president. He holds to his political views from sincere and honest conviction, and has been one of the leading representatives of the National Greenback party in Shelby county. The people of Ridge township have several times chosen him as a member of the Board of Supervisors, and to other public positions. He was first elected supervisor in 1867, and re-e lected in 1869, 1870, 1871, 1872 and 1873, and again in 1878 and 1880. His record on the Board of Supervisors is well known to those familiar with the public affairs of the county. He has been one of the active and influential members of the Board, and wh ile thoroughly believing in progress and public spirit, has used his efforts in the direction of an honest and economical administration of the affairs of the county. His theological belief coincides mainly with that of the United Baptist church. He is a gentleman of independent and liberal views, and has formed his opinions from his own judgment, and his convictions of right and wrong, and not simply because they have been the established belief of any sect or party.


WILLIAM CALVERT is now the oldest resident citizen born in Ridge township. His birth occurred March 8th, 1827. He is descended from a family of English origin, prominently connected with the early settlement of America. The first of the Calverts to come to America was George Calvert, Lord Baltimore, who, under a grant given by Queen Mary, founded the colony which gave birth to the present State of Maryland. His colony was composed of Roman Catholics, and the Calvert family for several generations h ave adhered to this faith though Mr. Calvert's father became a Protestant. From Maryland the family found their way to Virginia. John Calvert, grandfather of the subject of this sketch, was a resident of Culpepper county, Virginia, where Ralls Calvert, hi s next to oldest child, was born on the 15th of March, 1804. John Calvert emigrated with his family from Virginia to Kentucky, and settled first in Bourbon and then in the south-western part of Hardin county. When the family came to Kentucky, Ralls Calver t was a small boy. When a young man he experienced deep religious conviction, was converted, and joined the Methodist, church. This was in opposition to the prevailing religious sentiment of the family, and was bitterly regretted by his father. He refused , however, to yield his convictions, and remained true to his new religious belief. In the year 1823 or 1824, he married Levina Turner, a native of Hardin county, Kentucky, who was born on the 17th of January, 1805. Her grandparents on her mother's side w ere of the names of Sawyer and Richardson, and emigrated to America from England.

In the fall of 1826, Ralls Calvert left Kentucky with his family to find a new home in Illinois. On their way across the State of Indiana they traveled three days through a complete wilderness without seeing a road or any other sign of civilization. The w hole journey was slow and tedious. On their arrival in this State they settled in Shelby county. After living about a year in the southern part of what is now Ridge township, about Christmas, 1827, he moved to a new location in section fifteen, where he r esided till his death, which took place on the 17th of March, 1847. Ralls Calvert was a man much respected throughout the county. To his religious view, which he had adopted in the face of so much opposition, he remained steadfastly attached. His piety wa s of a deep and sincere character. His house was an important point for holding the early Methodist meetings. He was class-leader and exhorter. He was unusually gifted in prayer. He was jealously devoted to the interests of the Methodist church, and to hi s personal efforts may be traced much its success among the early settlements on Robinson creek. His views were broad and liberal, and were not sectarian.

Page 272
Though he was a Methodist, he was still more a Christian. He was naturally averse to holding public office, but for a time served as justice of peace, and also filled the office of county commissioner. He died leaving behind him no enemies, and a memory f ragrant with good deeds. His widow survived him thirty-three years and died on the 30th of April, l880.

Mr. Calvert's birth-place was on section thirty-three of Ridge township. There is now living only one male person older than himself who was born within the limits of Shelby county, and it is believed that the two were born in the same house. The subject of this sketch was the oldest son, and the second of a family of six children. Two of these died in infancy. Of the four who grew to maturity, a sister, Mahala, and a brother, Thomas, have since died, and he and his brother, E. L. Calvert, are now the onl y survivors. The whole of his life has been spent in Ridge township. The early schools which he attended were not of a description to afford any considerable advantage in the way of acquiring an education. He attended the old pioneer subscription schools. The first school house he remembers on Robinson creek contained no windows, a space being left between the logs to admit the light. The building was only inhabitable in mild weather. The large fire-place occupied almost the entire end of the building. Hi s sister, who was older than himself, was a pupil of the first two teachers who ever taught in Ridge township, Dr. William Hayden and James Hutson. Tuition in the subscription schools was high, his father was a man in moderate circumstances, and Mr. Calve rt went to school but little. From the time he was ten years old he was obliged to take the plough and assist with the work on the farm. Ploughing in those days was by no means an easy task. The plough was an awkward contrivance made of wood with the exce ption of an iron point, oxen were used instead of horses, and its successful management required much skill and patience. He went to school mostly at odd spells and on wet days when work on the farm was impossible. One winter he attended regularly three m onths; and this was about the total amount of schooling from which he received any benefit. His education has been chiefly acquired by self-study after growing to manhood. By an extensive course of reading he has gained much information.

His boyhood was spent in the early pioneer times, when few of the conveniences of civilization were in existence. He was often sent to Springfield to mill. Groceries, salt, and other articles for family use, were obtained in St. Louis. The last time his f ather drove his hogs to Alton (in 1843) he received for them a dollar and a half, net. He was in his twenty-first year when his father died. He purchased the interest of the other heirs in the old homestead, where he lived four years subsequent to his fat her's death, and then moved to his present place of residence. With a land warrant which he had bought he entered eighty acres of land, now comprised in his present farm. For the balance of his land he has paid from two dollars and a half to forty dollars an acre.

His marriage took place on the 12th of August, 1852, to Martha E. Marts, who was born in Sullivan county, Indiana, May 29, 1832, the daughter of Chamberlin and Emily (Pound) Marts. Her grandfather was from Virginia; her father was a native of Shelby count y, Kentucky; removed to Indiana, and from Indiana to Illinois, in 1850. Her mother was born in Indiana, and raised in Orange county, of that state. Mrs. Calvert was the oldest of ten children, all of whom are now living. Mr. and Mrs. Calvert have been the parents of four children. John C. Calvert, the oldest, resides in Ridge township; a daughter died in infancy, and the two youngest, Sarah Ann and Wm. R. Calvert, are still living at home. In his politics, Mr Calvert was originally a democrat, and from 18 48, when he voted for Lewis Cass, supported every subsequent nominee for President till 1876, when he was one of the few men in the county who voted for Peter Cooper for President on the national greenback ticket. He has preferred the quiet life of a priv ate citizen, and has never desired to hold public position. He has been a warm friend of the educational interests of the county, and for a number of years has been school trustee of his township. Since March, 1865, he has been a member of the United Bapt ist Church. He is now one of the oldest residents of the county, has been closely identified with its interests, and has been a progressive, liberal-minded, public-spirited citizen. His farm, of four hundred and twenty-two acres, is of that excellent qual ity of land for which the Robinson creek neighborhood has been noted since the first settlement of the county; it is amply provided with water, and situated, as Mr. Calvert thinks, in the midst of the finest agricultural portion of the county.

|| Return to Main Site Index ||