(Shelby County)







THE pioneer of what is now known as Moawequa Township, was Jacob Traughber. He settled south of the Long Grove Branch of section 19, within about one hundred yards of the present boundary line of Christian and Shelby counties, and three-fourths of a mile of the Macon county line. He was a native of North Carolina, and emigrated to Illinois, first locating in Sangamon county, where he lived two years and then moved to this county in March, 1831. He built a log cabin, improved a farm, afterwards ente red the land, and resided here until his death, which occurred in 1868, at the age of 71 years. His family, consisted of a wife and five children; four of the children live near the old homestead. Richard, the eldest, lives in Arkansas. The aged mother ma kes her home with one of her sons, who resides in the south edge of Macon county. She was a native of Virginia. Traughber was of German descent. Isaac Vice, William Morris, and the two Stewart brothers emigrated from Kentucky, and settled here in the latt er part of 1831, at Long Grove near the head of the branch. Most of them afterward removed to Iowa. Frank Armstrong settled on the place Mr. Vice improved. William Gregory settled on the south part of section 34; the place is now owned by E. M. Doyle. Jos eph Hall came in 1830, and located on section 36, where he lived about two years, and then sold out to Henry Armstrong. William and John Drake, two brothers, settled south of the present site of the village of Moawequa in 1830. They lived here a few years and then moved away. James Worsham settled on section 31, where H. A. Pratt now lives, in 1840. He resided there until 1854, when he was taken sick with the typhoid fever and died. His wife died the same day, and the same spring five or six of his childr en died of the same disease.

The first scbool-house erected, was a log building, and stood a quarter of a mile north of the present town of Moawequa. It was erected in 1836.

The first preaching was at the residence of Michael Snyder, and regular preaching was held at his home for about ten years, principally by the Methodist denomination.

Other old settlers were the Atterberrys. David and Andrew Simon; they resided in the eastern part of the township. John and William Lamb located in the northern part, near the Macon county line.

John M. Friedley, one of the enterprising and successful men of Moawequa, is a native of Seneca county, New York. He located in this county in 1847, and by his indefatigable energy and perseverance has done much to advance and improve this section.

In 1856, Mr. Friedley purchased of Charles Cornell the "Round Grove farm," where he carried on farming quite extensively for several years. The place is now owned by James G. Stewart. In the year 1832, Mr. Freeman entered about 2800 acres of land in the c enter and west part of what is now this township. In consequence this tract of land was not settled until after 1856. This tract is owned in parcels by John Freeman, James Freeman, Jacob Johnson, James W. Hughes, James Gavin, Wm. Notbrook, Thomas Hudson, Mrs. Beudsley and the Elledge heirs. A small portion is owned by other persons.

Capt. A. C. Campbell, now a prominent resident of Moawequa, is a native of Sangamon county, Illinois. He first settled in the north part of Flat Branch township in 1851. At that time the settlements were mostly in the timber or at the timber's edge. Mr. C ampbell improved a farm in that township, now known as the Joseph Duncan place.

Mr. Campbell was a soldier of the Mexican war, and went out as lieutenant of Co. D, 4th Regt., Ill. Volunteers, Col. E. D. Baker, in command. Captain Morris of Company D, died at Tampico, and Lieutenant Campbell took command of the company. He participate d in all the engagements, in which the 4th regiment bore a part, and it was one of the Illinois Regiments which distinguished itself. On the breaking out of the late Rebellion, Capt. Campbell enlisted and was made Captain of Co. E, 32d Regt., Ill. Vol. u nder command of the brave and gallant John A. Logan, now one of the distinguished United States Senators of Illinois. This regiment achieved a record for bravery and valor excelled by few if any other regiments in the late war.

Captain Campbell is one of the enterprising men of Moawequa, and is now one of the representatives from this district in the legislature of this state.

The first death was that of William Morris, who came here in 1831; living only a year or two.

Drainage-Moawequa is drained by Long Grove Branch, running south-west, entering the township and county on the north-east corner of section 20, passing out on the south-west corner of section 19, and by tributaries of Flat Branch, one running south from section 25, through section 36, and one from section 26, through 27 and 34, passing out on section 33, furnishing a supply of water for stock and farm purposes. This township is bounded on the north by Macon county, on the east by Penn, on the south by Flat Branch, on the west by Christian county, containing 18 square miles, or 11, 520 acres; it comprises the south half of township 14-2. The Illinois Central Railroad passes along the west portion of the township, running north-east, furnishing trans portation

Page 199

for all commodities. The building of this road gave a rapid impetus to the settlement and improvement of the township, and has done much toward increasing its material wealth.

Land entries from the general government. The first land entry made in the south half of the Congressional township, fourteen range, two east, was eighty acres in section 31, by Elizabeth Troughter, on the thirty-first of July, 1834. The second entry was made November fifth, 1835, of forty acres, in section twenty-four, by Isaac D. Vice.

Henry Armstrong entered eighty acres in section thirty-six, January 18th, 1836, which was the third entry.

Supervisors.-The following gentlemen have represented the township in the Board of Supervisors: John Freeman, elected in 1860, re-elected in 1861; F. M. Chamberlain, elected in 1862; J. M. Friedley, elected in 1863; reelected in 1864, 1865; J. M. C hamberlain, elected in 1866; J. M. Friedley, elected in 1867 ; re-elected in 1868, 1869, 1870, and 1871; J. Donnell, elected in 1872; John Freeman, elected in 1873, 1874, and 1875; W. Humphrey, elected in 1876; R. A. Patten, elected in 1877, re-elected in 1878; Dr. A. P. Hoxsey, elected in 1879, re-elected in 1880, and is the present incumbent.


THIS thriving and enterprising place is situated on the line of the Illinois Central railroad, and is the most important distributing point on that line in Shelby county. From this station is annually shipped large quantities of live stock, grain a nd other products. The town is delightfully located, in the midst of a rich and fertile prairie country, and surrounded by an intelligent and thrifty class of farmers; its broad well-shaded streets, commodious business houses and handsome private dwelling s, add much beauty to the place. The mercantile, banking, and other interests of the town, are in a prosperous and growing condition.

It was laid out by Michael Snyder, in the fall of 1852. In 1852 Chester Wells built a saw-mill, and sawed ties for the Illinois Central Railroad company. Mr. Michael Snyder erected the first store building, immediately after the town was laid out. John Mi ddleton and Son put in the first stock of general merchandize. The building stood in the rear of the brick store, now occupied by B. F. Ribelin, and this was the first brick store in the town; it was built by W. G Hayden & Co., in the summer of 1854. E. P rescott erected the first brick residence in the spring of 1854. The second sawmill erected was by Bacon and Smith, in 1874. They soon after added an elevator, and in 1875 they fitted up a corn bur in the same, and in 1876, they built another addition, an d put in a wheat bur. They manufacture a good quality of flour. The elevator in connection with the mill does a fair business. It has facilities for handling about 1,752,000 bushels of grain per annum, and at this time of writing, is operated to its full capacity.

The first flouring mill was erected by Wells & Reed, in 1854; the brick addition was built by Simon Spear in '56 or '57. It is now used by Housh & Duncan, and is operated as a custom mill.

The first blacksmith shop was built in 1853, and carried on by E. Prescott; he is the oldest settler now living in the town. When Mr. P. came to Moawequa there were but four houses in the place, two log and two small frames. Mr. C. Wells and Phillip Ennis occupied the log house. R. Smith and Simon Spowler lived in the frame building.


THE Moawequa Bank, under the firm name of V. Snyder & Co., was established in 1874. At the time of its organization, V. Snyder, G. A. Kautz and J. M. Friedley were the stockholders. V. Snyder and G. A. Kautz are now the owners. The bank does quite an extensive business, and is a great convenience to the thriving town in which it is situated.

Among those engaged in merchandizing are:

C. H. Bridges, who has a double store of clothing, boots and shoes in one, and dry goods and groceries in the other.

W. Gregory, dry goods, boots and shoes.

James H. Elsum, groceries.

Melsher & Stine, groceries.

B. F. Ribelin, dry goods, boots and shoes, clothing, hats and caps.

George M. Keiser, drugs.

J. C. & S. D. Myers, drugs and groceries.

William Henry, drugs and groceries; also, post-master,

R.J. Smith & Co., harness and saddles.

H.F. Day, groceries, hardware, agricultural implements, boots, shoes and clothing; his stores occupy four rooms.

Gregory & Combs, groceries

W. Gregory, hardware.

S. G. Travis, hardware, glassware, queensware, woodenware, tin ware, pumps, furniture and agricultural implements.

Millinery.--Mrs. E. A. Wilson.
Leading Physicians.--A. P. Hoxsey, W. P. Buck, and W. H. Sparling.
Tin and Stoves.--Michael Erpelding.
Barber and Jeweler.--Sidney Stocking.
Churches.--Methodist, Baptist and Presbyterian.
Moawequa Register.--F. M. Hughes, editor
Lumber Dealer.--N. Francis.
Restaurants.--Samuel Casey, W. R. Swaer, and I. C. Morris.
Hotel and Livery.--I. H. Potter. Mr Potter has kept hotel in Moawequa since 1854, and is one of the oldest settlers of the place.
Shoemakers.--John Fahrner and Samuel Worsham.
Meat Market.--Sidney Deadman.
Undertakers.--Melcher & Riley.
Blacksmiths.--S. D. West, Snow & Mansell, Tillman Weekly.
Wagon Makers.--L. D. Smith, John Millington, A. A. Smith.

Paul Beek was the first regular hotel keeper; he built what is now known as the Potter house in 1853.

Dr. Rice was the first physician in this place.

John M. Lowery was one of the early merchants, and the first post-master.


*F.& A. M.--The charter was granted Oct. 3, A. L. 5855, A. D. 1855, to Moawequa Lodge, No. 180. Charter members: Joseph Lane, E. J. Rice, Thomas L. Catherwood and others. Present officers:B. Scarlette, W. M. ; B F. Riblin, S. W.; Judson Combs, J. W .; J. M. Friedley, T.; J. H. Kirkman, sec.; J. W. Smith, S. D.; S.F. Pease, J. W.; J. W. Hughes, chap.; S. D. West, S. S.; Thomas Smith, J. S.; B. F. Nugent, tyler. Present membership, forty-eight.

* Data furnished by Secretary

** Odd Fellows.--Shelby Lodge No. 274 I. O. O. F., Moawequa, was instituted on the 8th day of June, 1858, with the following named persons as charter members: Geo. T. Williams, Thomas L. Catherwood, C. B. Gailord, Wm. I. Usry and J. E. Hoagland. Th e present officers are: James R. Smith, N. G.; W. R. Smith, V. G.; James H. Elsum, Sec.; Wm. M. Smith, Treas; James G. Stewart, P. S.; H. F. Day, Rep.; W. F. Elledge, Conductor; W. F. Day, I. G.; Judson Combs, 0 G.; B. F. Nugent, R. S. N. G.; G. W. Bacon, L. S. N. G.; Geo. P. Shepard, R. S. V. G.; D. N.

** For the data of the Societies we are indebted to the Secretaries of the same.

Page 200

McCluskey, L. S. V. S., Charles Beudsley, R. S. S.; F. Armstrong, L. S. S.; T. T. Snyder, Chaplain; J M. Friedley, Host; John W. Smith. Present members forty.

Knights of Honor.--Moawequa Lodge No. 1013, was instituted April 3, 1878, by J. P. Drish, with the following persons vs charter members: Chas. W. March, H. F. Day, W. R. Oliver, A. P. Hoxsey, Chas. F. Hardy, James H. Kirkman, James H. Elsum, A. M. Phillipson, W. M. Smith, F. Armstrong, E. E. Pennypacker, Geo. W. Bacon, D. N. McCluskey.

Officers for term ending December 31, 1880: Dictator, F. G. Penn; Vice Dictator, Geo. M. Keiser; Assistant Dictator, James H. Elsum; Guide, Sidney Stocking; Reporter, Chas. W. March; Financial Reporter, H. F. Day; Chaplain, James G. Stewart; Treasurer, Ja mes H. Kirkman; Guardian, F. Armstrong; Sentinel, Geo. W. Bacon; Sitting Past Dictator, Robert A. Patton. The Past Dictators are: C. W. March, H. F. Day, James H. Kirklan, James G. Stewart. Representative to Grand Lodge, H. F. Day. Number of members Septe mber 1, 1880, nineteen.

Independent Order of Foresters.--Instituted February 14, 1880. Charter members, the present Officers: Francis Armstrong, Chief Ranger; James R. Smith, Vice Chief Ranger; Henry F. Day, Ree. Sec.; James W. Gregory, Gen. Sec.; D. Shepherd, Senior Wood man; Silas Mitchell, Junior Woodman; John W. Smith, Senior Beadle; Frank Ayers, Junior Beadle; James H. Elsum, James G. Stewart, Henry F. Day, T. Weekly, Past Chief Rangers; Dr. A. P. Hoxsey, Medical-Examiner. Meets in Day's Hall 2d and 4th Mondays of eac h month.

Royal Templars of Temperance.--Organized August 27, 1879. Present Officers: Select Councilor, Geo. P. Shepherd; Past Councilor, Dr. W. H. Sparling; Vice Councilor, S. D. West; Chaplain, C. H. Bridges; Sec., J. T. Haslam; Treas., S. G. Travis; Heral d, Miss Jennie West; Guard, John P. Millington; Sentinel, W. M. Smith. Number of members twenty-seven.

When the township was first settled, deer were plentiful, and wolves more than plentiful. The citizens were forced, in order to save their pigs, to pen them up at night, at the end of the house. Turkeys were thick, and many persons could imitate the call to perfection, and hence the were very successful in hunting them. All the soil of Moawequa is susceptible of cultivation. You have but to "tickle it with a hoe and it will laugh with a harvest." Five times her population may draw sustenance from her boso m. There is no need for young men to journey toward the setting sun in quest of homes; let them look around them in Shelby county -- which is a fair land -- and they may find good homesteads, which can be purchased at cheap rates, and which need only reso lute purposes and strong muscle to convert them into fields of yellow grain. The citizens of this township will compare favorably in integrity, morality, education and religion with those of any other section of the county. Vice and gross immorality are a lmost unknown. They believe in schools; they have churches in their midst, to which they resort to hear of that other country to which all men are hastening. A bright future is before her; her population is increasing, and improvements are going on rapidl y on all sides. Commodious and substantial farm-houses are being multiplied, and many most excellent farms appear where a little more than a half-century ago the savage roamed at will. The staple produ6ts of this township are corn and wheat. The soil is not surpassed in depth and richness by any portion of the township.

Page 201



AMONG the men who have been closely identified with the business interests of Shelby county, is John M. Friedley, of Moawequa. On his father's side he is decended from a family of German origin. His ancestors emigrated from Germany and settled in P ennsylvania at a period previous to the Revolutionary war. His grandfather Friedley was born in Pennsylvania and served in the war of the Revolution. Ludwick Friedley, the father of the subject of this sketch, was born in Sugar valley, near Bellefonte, Ce ntre county, Pennsylvania, and was raised in the same locality. He was married in Beaver (now Snyder) county, Pennsylvania, to Rebecca Middlesworth, daughter of John Middlesworth, a resident of New Jersey, and a soldier under Washington in the seven years struggle of the thirteen colonies for independence. Mr. Friedley's mother was born in New Jersey, and was a girl three years old when her family moved to Pennsylvania. After their marriage one child was born to Ludwick and Rebecca Friedley in Pennsylvani a, and they then moved to Seneca county, New York, where the birth of John M. Friedley, the next to the oldest child, took place. The date of the settlement of the family in Seneca county, New York, was about 1820, and they resided there till the fall of 1838. Eight children were born in New York. His father then moved with the family to Seneca county, Ohio, where the youngest of the ten children was born. Five are now living. With the exception of John M. Friedley they reside in Seneca county, Ohio.

Mr. Friedley first saw the light of day on the 12th of January, 1821. His birth-place was six miles south of Seneca falls, in Seneca county, New York. His boyhood was spent in the same neighborhood. At that time free schools had not been established. Only subscription or pay schools were in existance, but these, in that part of the state, were well organized, and afforded good educational advantages. He had opportunity for going to school only in the winter. His early education has been supplemented by mu ch practical

Page 202

experience with business affairs, and by information which he has acquired by habits of keen observation. From an early age he was accustomed to work on the farm, and learned those habits of industry which have contributed not a little to his success in l ife. On the 15th of October, 1838, the family left their home in New York to find a new location in Ohio. They settled in Seneca county, in the midst of a new and heavily timbered country. His father purchased one hundred and thirty-six acres of land cove red with heavy timber, and it required a vast amount of hard labor to bring a farm under cultivation. Of this work Mr. Friedley did his full share. His father lived on this farm till his death, in 1872. at the age of seventy-eight. He had accumulated cons iderable property, and died in good circumstances. His mother died in the same neighborhood in 1875.

The subject of this sketch lived at home till he was about twenty-four years of age. He was of an enterprising and energetic turn of mind, and finally concluded that he could obtain a better start in the world by coming to Illinois. He had lived part of o ne summer with an uncle, Abraham Middlesworth, who then resided in Fairfield county, Ohio, but who afterward emigrated to Shelby County, in this state. From the time his uncle left Ohio, he felt a great desire to come to Illinois, and in September, 1845, in company with his next younger brother, Ner D. Friedley, he proceeded to carry out his long cherished undertaking. Taking a boat at Huron, Ohio, he came by way of the lakes to Chicago. While it was his intention to come to Shelby county, he wished firs t to take advantage of the rapid means of making money which were then supposed to exist in the lead mines of north-western Illinois. These mines in those days were a popular resort for energetic young men anxious to get possession of a little capital. Fr om Chicago, in company with some teamsters, he made his way westward in the direction of Galena. He found it was too early in the fall to find profitable work at the mines, and in traveling through Winnebago county, he stopped at Twelve Mile Grove, about half way between Rockford and Freeport, and for about six weeks was employed at a stage stand. This was during the months of September and October, 1845, and this was the first work Mr. Friedley ever did in Illinois. He then went on to Galena, and was emp loyed in the mines during the winter of 1845-6. His brother left in March and came to Shelbyville but Mr. Friedley remained till the approach of warm weather made it impossible to work in the mines, and he then obtained a situation to drive a team for a p edler -- the most remunerative employment he could find at the time -- till the weather became cold enough to permit of his going to work again at mining. The money he had earned by his first winter's work in the mines he had given to his brother, who on coming to Shelby county had bought, for $320, one hundred and sixty acres of land in Holland township, in which Mr. Friedley owned a half interest. He was employed in the mines during the winter of 1846-7, and the next spring came to Shelby county, reachi ng Shelbyville the latter part of March, 1847, the first time he had ever been in this part of the state. Here he met his brother, who had spent the summer of 1846 in Ohio, and had returned to Shelby county in the fall.

During the summer of 1847 the brothers raised a crop together, having twenty-two acres in oats, and forty-five in corn. In the fall of 1847 his brother determined to return to the mines. Toward the spring he was taken sick, and in May, 1848, died, finding a grave in Wisconsin, eight miles from Galena. During the winter of 1847-8 and the next summer, he carried out a contract to cut the rails and fence three sides of a half-section of land. Every two hundred rails paid for an acre of ground; and in that wa y part of the debt incurred in the purchase of the one hundred and sixty acres was liquidated. To his brother's interest in this land Mr. Friedley fell heir, and he soon had it free from encumbrance. This was the first land ever owned by him in Shelby cou nty, though hundreds of acres of valuable land have since passed through his hands. After finishing the contract to fence the land, during the remaining part of the summer of 1848 he worked by the month at herding cattle, and the next winter was employed on a farm in Windsor township. He was married on the 18th of January, 1849, to Miss Julia P. Stuart, who was born in Robertson county, Tennessee, on the 9th of October, 1829. Her parents, Dempsey Stuart and Mary Folis, were both natives of South Carolina. Her ancestors were of Scotch descent. Her father moved with the family to Shelby county in 1842, and settled seven miles east of Shelbyville, in Windsor township. Both her father and mother died in this county. During the winter he was married Mr. Friedl ey was receiving only eight dollars a month wages. This was not a heavy capital on which to embark in matrimony, but he and his wife were both hopeful and willing to make the best of circumstances. At that time there was comparatively little wealth in the country. His highest expectations then were to own a tract of forty acres of good land, in some favored part of the county, with a little convenient timber, and a comfortable house in which to live.

After his marriage till the fall of 1854 he was engaged in farming on rented land in Windsor and Richland townships. He still owned the original one hundred and sixty acres in Holland township, to which he had added twenty-eight acres of timber, and in th e fall of 185 4 he moved on this land, built a round log house and other buildings, dug a well, and settled down on his own possessions with the purpose of improving a farm. In the summer of 1855 he planted twenty-three acres in corn, but the chinch bugs, which that season put in an appearance for the first time in Shelby county, ate up his entire crop. The next year he was more fortunate. He raised a good crop of corn, and in the fall had an opportunity of selling his farm to a good advantage. He was gla d to get it off his hands. He was naturally endowed with the facility of distinguishing on sight, good land from bad, and when he first came to Shelby county and his eye rested on the quarter section in which his brother had invested his first earnings, h is feeling was one of great disappointment. It was his ambition to own a farm on Robinson creek, where he had a cousin living, and where he considered the soil to be greatly superior to that of his own farm. So he gladly accepted a chance to sell his Holl and township farm for $2,100. But passing by, after all, the land on Robinson creek, which was held at high prices, he came to the north-western part of the county and selected a quarter section three miles east of Moawequa, for which, with ten acres of g ood timber, and twenty of brush, he paid $2,000. The improvements consisted of a house about sixteen feet square built of round logs, and about thirty-six acres which had been placed in cultivation. Four thousand rails were also on the place. With charact eristic energy he commenced the work of improvement, and during the next four or five years performed about as much hard labor as is usually gone through with by any one man in a like period. In 1859 the old log house, in which his family had found somewh at uncomfortable quarters since the spring of 1856, gave place to a new frame residence, twenty-eight feet square, which now stands on the property. This is the farm now owned by James G. Stewart an illustration of which appears elsewhere.

He soon reached a position where he was able to increase his means rapidly. After the war of the rebellion began, land dropped in value, and in 1862 he bought another quarter section cornering with the other, the cheapest land he ever purchased in Shelby county. In 1864 he purchased eighty acres adjoining his farm

Page 203

on the south, which he still owns. The period of speculation and high prices during the latter part of the rebellion, and after its close, gave ample opportunity for making money to men of enterprise, capital, and good business judgment. In the spring of 1866 he formed a partnership with John Hudson to deal in stock. During the three or four years the partnership lasted, the business was carried on very successfully, and he made money more rapidly than at any other period of his life. He was wise enough, too, to abandon it when it proved no longer profitable. In the year 1870, he was engaged in the grain business at Moawequa in partnership with E. W. Stevens. On account of the poor state of his wife's health he had rented his farm, and moved to Moawequa i n the spring of 1867. In July, 1874, with Valentine Snyder and George A. Kautz as his partners, he established the bank at Moawequa -- the first institution of the kind ever started in the town. He attended to all the outside business connected with the b ank and contributed to make it a prosperous and successful institution, and to give it a reputation for sound financial standing second to no bank in this part of the state. He closed his connection with the bank in July, 1880. He is now the owner of five hundred and forty-eight acres of land in Shelby county and fifty in Christian county. These farms are among the best to be found in this part of the state. In the spring of 1877 he moved to his present residence, which he has since improved, and a view o f which is shown in this work. It is one of the choicest pieces of residence property in Moawequa.

Martha Elizabeth, the only child of Mr. and Mrs. Friedley, was born on the 1st of March, 1850. She was educated at the seminary at Shelbyville, and qualified herself as a teacher though she never attended but one term of school. On the 5th of November, 18 68, she was married to James G. Stewart. After her marriage, she and her husband went to live on the farm in Moawequa township, the former residence of Mr. Friedley, of which they afterwards became the owners. A violent cold brought on the consumption, an d everything possible was done for her restoration to health. She was taken to Florida by her husband in the fall of 1876, and, after spending the winter there returned to Moawequa the last of May. After an illness of about eighteen months, she died on th e 12th of August, 1877. She was the mother of three children. John A., the oldest child, died at the age of fourteen months, and another died in infancy. Jessie May is the only child living. She and her father have their home with Mr. and Mrs. Friedley.

In the days when the political sentiment of the county was divided between the Whig and Democratic parties, Mr. Friedley was a Whig. He cast his first vote for President in the exciting campaign of 1844, for Henry Clay, the great champion of the principle s of the Whig organization. From early boyhood he was opposed to slavery, and believed in the inherent right of freedom which every man possesses. When the great fight began over the question of extending slavery into the Territories, and the Republican p arty sprang into existence, he was one of the first to connect himself with the new organization, and he has been a warm Republican from that day to the present. He has taken an active and influential part in politics, and has been one of the leaders of t he Republican organization in Shelby county. For eight years he represented Moawequa township in the board of supervisors. The Republican party made him its candidate for sheriff of Shelby county; but of course it was impossible to overcome the customary heavy democratic majority. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, as is also Mrs. Friedley. He has been a temperance man all his life, and has never given a vote in favor of the licensed sale of intoxicating drinks. He is a member of Shelby L odge No. 274 of the order of Odd Fellows, and of Moawequa Lodge of Masons. No. 280.

His success in life has depended much on his own energy and his natural qualifications as a good business man. His accumulations are the result of perseverance and industry; he possesses a mind keen enough to judge accurately of the character of business investments, and has managed to take good care of the results of the industry of his earlier years. Besides his own business, he has been called on to transact considerable business for others, and has been engaged in the settlement of several estates. In connection with one estate of which he was administrator, he acted as guardian of the seven minor children; and in other ways the confidence of the people in his business ability has been frequently expressed; he is a good type of the self-made man. He c ame to Illinois with a resolute heart and willing hands as his only aids in the quest for fortune. But while his own resources were all he had on which to rely, he remembered with gratitude the friends of the early part of his career in this county, who g ave him their confidence, extended to him credit, and assisted him in many material ways. He considers also that he has been fortunate in associating himself in business with capable and reliable men. His partners who at different times he has had in vari ous enterprises have invariably been men in whose integrity and ability he has had entire confidence. Although he has been active in the accumulation of wealth, still he has used it with a liberal hand. He had surrounded his family with the comforts of li fe, and his means have always been open to the appeals of charity and the demands of benevolence. He is known as a public-spirited citizens and has been among the foremost in all enterprises calculated to benefit the community of which he is a member. In all his business transactions, extending over a long series of years, there rests against him no imputation which could affect his character as a gentleman, as a straightforward and honorable business man. His name deserves a place in this work as a man w ho has been intimately connected with the development and growth of the material resources of Shelby county.


NOW engaged in the banking business at Moawequa, is a native of Christian county, and was born in Prairieton township near the Shelby county line, half a mile west of Moawequa, on the 28th of October, 1844. His parents, Michael Snyder and Margaret Kautz, were among the early settlers of that part of Christian county. The subject of this sketch was the fifth of a family of eight children. He was raised in the neighborhood where he was born. He attended school as he had opportunity in the log schoolh ouses in the Flat Branch Timber. The nearest school was three miles distant. He afterward attended two terms in a seminary at Mt. Zion in Macon county. During the winter of 1866-7 he was a student at Eastman's Commercial College at Chicago. In the fall of 1867, in partnership with George Kautz he began the mercantile business at Moawequa under the firm name of Snyder & Kautz. Business was carried on in that manner for four years and a half. For one year he carried on the store on his own accord and then f ormed a partnership with his brother, William J. Snyder. He continued the mercantile business till 1873. In 1874 with George A. Kautz and J. M. Friedley as his partners he engaged in the banking business at Moawequa under the name of V. Snyder & Co. This was the first bank ever established at Moawequa, and the business has

Page 204

been carried on uninterruptedly from that time to the present. Mr. Friedley retired from the firm in July, 1880.

Mr. Snyder was married on the 14th of September, 1870, to Miss Lillian Snow, a native of Green county, Illinois, daughter of Thomas Snow. He has five children by this marriage, Clarence Elmer, Karl Roscoe, Ralph Waldo, Lillian Irene, and Mattie May. In hi s political opinions he has always been in sympathy with the Republican party. His first vote for President was cast for General Grant in 1868. He has always been a staunch supporter of the Republican organization, although in local elections he believes in supporting the best man for the office irrespective of political affiliations. He is one of the energetic and enterprising business men of Moawequa. Since 1867 he has been closely identified with the business interests of the place, and is well known a s a gentleman of high personal character and an honorable and capable business man.


IS of Irish and English descent. His grandfather, Martin Doyle, emigrated from the north of Ireland to America with two brothers about 1750. At Braddock's defeat in western Pennsylvania, he became separated from his brothers and never heard of them afterward. He settled in Virginia and married a woman named Webb. He was a soldier in the revolutionary war, afterwards moved to Tennessee, and thence to Kentucky, settling there soon after the time of Daniel Boone, when the country was yet full of the I ndians. He died in Logan county, Kentucky. John Doyle, father of the subject of this sketch, was born in the Blue Ridge part of Virginia, about 1783. His early life was spent in Tennessee, where he was in the employment of Andrew Jackson. He was one of th e body of troops raised in Tennessee to reinforce Jackson during the war of 1812-14, and took part in the battle of New Orleans. He was married in Lincoln county, Kentucky, to Cassandra Harvey, a native of Kentucky. John Doyle lived four miles west of Rus sellville, Logan county, Kentucky, till his death, which occurred three or four years ago, at the age of ninety-three. He was an old Whig, and during the rebellion a strong union man. The rebel forces several times during the war tried to compel him to ta ke the oath of allegiance to the Southern Confederacy, but the old man bravely refused, preferring even death to renouncing his loyalty to his country.

Ewing M. Doyle was the fourth of nine children. He was born near Russellville, Logan county, Kentucky, September fifteenth, 1815. He went to school but little, never more than three weeks at a time. There were then no free schools; schooling cost eight do llars a quarter; his father had a large family, and wanted the assistance of all his children, able to work, to relieve him from an embarrassed financial situation, and consequently he had to get his learning at home. He learned to read and spell at night by the flickering light of a brushwood fire, an older brother generally being his teacher. In the year 1831, then in his sixteenth year, he came to Illinois, and for one year worked for an older brother, who had settled in Fayette county. He was in the v incinity of Vandalia till the fall of 1835. Vandalia was then the capital of the state, and among the members of the legislature was Abraham Lincoln, who boarded with Dr. Stapp, now living in Decatur, by whom Mr. Doyle was employed, and he and Lincoln cho pped wood together many an evening after the legislature had adjourned its sessions. For about three years succeeding the fall of 1835, he was employed in driving stage near St. Louis. His first route was between St. Louis and Marine, east of Edwardsville , and then afterwards on the St. Louis and Springfield line, between Edwardsville and Carlinville. At that time there were no railroads. Al the travel was carried on by stage and the driver of a stage was quite an important personage.

On the twenty-ninth of May, 1836, he married Mary Dickens, who was born in Wilson county, Tennessee, and was then living in Madison county. He quit the stage business about 1838, and was in the employment afterwards of Samuel Sanner, who then lived north of Edwardsville, and of Dr. Lathey at Alton. In 1839 he began farming north of Edwardsville, and in 1840 moved to a farm in Macoupin county, four miles and a half south of Bunker Hill, on which he lived three years, and then bought sixty acres of land in the same neighborhood, on which he resided a number of years. It required all his capital to get possession of these sixty acres. He traded off everything excepting an axe and a hoe. There was no other improvement on the place except a cabin. Some of the rails with which to fence it he carried a quarter of a mile on his back. He owed a hundred dollars on the land. To add to his other troubles, he was sick a great part of the time with chills and bilious fever. He finally succeeded in getting the place in cultivation, paid off the indebtedness, erected a good house and barn, and entered eighty acres adjoining. In 1859 he sold this farm, and moved on a farm of two hundred and ten acres four miles north of Bunker Hill. He there became involved in the paymen t of some security debts, and had made himself liable for a considerable sum of money for building the Methodist church at Bunker Hill, and he finally concluded to move to a new country. He came to this county in 1863. His capital consisted of thirteen hu ndred dollars, two teams, and three cows. He bought four hundred and twenty acres, only a small portion improved. He now owns a farm of two hundred and forty acres free from all incumbrance, a picture of which is shown elsewhere. His first wife died in 18 59. His present wife, Helen Brewer, was born at Upper Alton, September fifth 1838, daughter of William Brewer, who came from Virginia to Illinois, and settled near Brighton. He has seventeen children: Elizabeth, wife of Lewis Hail, of Kansas ; Benjamin F. , of Moawequa township; Alexander P. H., of Kansas; John L., of Flat Branch township; Isabel A., wife of William Whitworth, of Moawequa township; Julia and Ewing M., who are deceased; James C. T., George R., and Charles W., of Moawequa township; Mary d William A. residing at home; Coloma C., deceased; and Martin Reuben who resides with his father; Cora E. Camilla, and Edith are deceased. The last seven names are those of children by his present marriage. Benjamin, A. P. H., and John served in the war of the rebellion, enlisting in 1863. The two first were in the Forty first Illinois, and were in Sherman's march from Atlanta to the sea. John was in a Missouri regiment.

Mr. Doyle was first a democrat and voted for Van Buren in 1836. He became a strong republican, and in 1856 voted for Fremont. He joined the Presbyterian church when a boy in Kentucky, and united with the Methodists on coming to this state. His influence h as been cast on the side of morality and virtue. He has been a warm temperance man. He began life with no capital, having only thirty-seven and a half cents when he started out for himself in Vandalia. His accumulations have been the result of hard work. He has followed farming, and has traded considerably in stock, and has succeeded in every occupation he has undertaken. His personal honesty has never been placed in question. He can now look back, with satisfaction over a life which, though laborious, ha s been profitably spent.

Page 205


WAS born on Lick Creek in Sangamon county of this state, on the 22d of July, 1819. He was the third child born of white parents in Sangamon county, and is now supposed to be the oldest white man living who was born in that county. The Campbell fami ly is of Scotch origin. His grandfather, Jeremiah Campbell, emigrated from Scotland to South Carolina, and fought in the war of the Revolution under Gen. Francis Marion, and afterward emigrated to Tennessee. He was raised in that state, and enlisted in a body of troops raised in Tennessee for service in the war of 1812, and was appointed ensign. He came to Illinois, and in Madison County married Levina Parkinson, who was also descended from a Scotch family, and was born in Carter county, Tennessee. In the spring of 1819, soon after their marriage, they moved to what is now Sangamon county, and settled on Lick Creek. They were among the early pioneers of that part of the state. They died in Sangamon county on the place where they originally settled.

The subject of this sketch was the oldest of six children. He was raised on Lick Creek. The schools which he attended were of the pioneer character common to that early day. The schools were subscription schools, held in log school-houses with puncheon fl oors and slab benches. His father was a man considered in those days well-off, and had built a good schoolhouse of hewn logs on his own farm, where Capt. Campbell principally attended school. The teachers were sometimes men of considerable ability. Among those to whom he went to school were Daniel McCaskill, John Calhoun of Kansas notoriety, and Rowan Morris, all men of thorough education. It was considered essential to thoroughly understand arithmetic and surveying. By dint of perseverance, Capt. Campbel l obtained a substantial education, and after he was grown, taught school several terms. August 3, 1838, he married Polly Foster, daughter of Peyton Foster. She was a native of Kentucky. After his marriage he went to farming on his own account, and improv ed a good farm on Lick Creek.

On the 10th of June, 1846, he enlisted in Co. D. Fourth regiment Illinois infantry, for service in the war with Mexico. The regiment was commanded by Col. E. D. Baker. From Alton, the regiment went to Jefferson Barracks, and after drilling there a few wee ks proceeded to New Orleans and thence to Mexico. They ascended the Rio Grande to Camargo; from that point marched back to Matamoras, and then to Victoria, where they were placed under Gen. Scott's command. Capt. Campbell was present at the bombardment of Vera Cruz, and took part in the battle of Cerro Gordo. He had enlisted as a private, was elected lieutenant, and the captain dying at Tampico, he was left in command of the company, which position he retained till the expiration of their term of enlistme nt. The regiment reached Illinois on its return in about a year from the time of leaving the state.

He was farming in Sangamon county till 1851, and then moved to Shelby county, and settled in Section 4 of township 13, range 2, the present Flat Branch township. He improved a farm of four hundred and ten acres, on which he lived till 1856, and then moved to Moawequa. When he settled in Flat Branch township he opened a store on his farm, which he carried on till the town of Moawequa was started, when he undertook the mercantile business in that place. He has since been farming in Moawequa township.

He. volunteered during the first year of the war of the Rebellion. In October, 1861, he entered the service as captain of Co. E., Thirty-Second regiment Illinois volunteers, commanded by

Page 206

Col. John Logan. He served three years with the Army of the Tennessee. During the latter part of the war his regiment formed part of the Seventeenth corps. He was in Missouri, Arkansas, Kentucky, Tennessee, Mississippi, Georgia, Alabama and South Carolina , and took part in the battles of Fort Donelson, Shilolh, the siege of Corinth, Coldwater, the engagements around Vicksburg, Jackson, Kenesaw Mountain and the various actions which took place on Sherman's celebrated march from Atlanta to the sea. He was m ustered out in February, 1865.

The death of his first wife took place on the 9th of January, 1858. On the 17th of June, 1859, he married Jennie Hurt, a native of Montgomery county, Ohio. He has six children; John P.,now residing in Kansas; Elzira E, who married James W. Clark; Sarah C , the wife of Edward Segar of Indianapolis; Leonard W., living, in Kansas; Alfred C. and George W. His political inclinations have always made him a member of the democratic party. Since 1840, when he cast his first vote for President for Martin Van Buren , he has voted the straight democratic ticket. For two terms he served as justice of the peace. In 1880, he received the democratic nomination for member of the legislature from the Thirty third Senatorial district, comprising the counties of Shelby, Effi ngham and Cumberland, and was elected by a flattering majority. He is connected with the Masonic order, and is now the oldest charter member of Moawequa lodge, No. 180.


MR. HUGHES, editor of the Moawequa Register, is a native of Wales, and was born on the twenty-ninth of May, 1824. His ancestors had lived in Wales for several generations. His father, Thomas Hughes, followed the sea, and did become a citizen of the United States before the birth of the subject of this sketch. His mother, whose maiden name was Margaret Hughes, was born at Llandidno, near Conway, Wales. When Mr. Hughes was about nine, the death of his mother occurred at Liverpool. When eleven or twelve, he accompanied his father to this country. His home for several years was at Providence, Rhode Island, where most of his early education was attained. At fourteen he went to sea. He shipped as a cabin boy, and afterward became mate. He made fre quent voyages to different points on the Atlantic coast. He has crossed the Atlantic in all seventeen times. During the intervals of his employment as a sailor, he learned the printing business at Providence, and about 1849 devoted himself altogether to t he latter occupation. For several years he was employed by Morton and Griswold, of Louisville, Kentucky. He also worked for Harper Bros., of New York, and after their establishment was burned out, was employed by the American Tract House and other offices in New York till 1856, and then went to Nashville, Tennesee, to take charge of the press department of the Southern Methodist Publishing House. He held this position for more than a year, having charge of twenty or thirty power presses. He afterward took charge of the Baptist Publication House. He then went into business for himself at Nashville, and began the publication of the Parlor Visitor and the Baptist Family Visitor. He next went to Murfreesboro', Tennessee, where he published the < I>Aurora, a monthly magazine, and the Southern Dollar Weekly. Returning to Nashville in 1858, he began publishing the Commercial Evening Bulletin, a daily, and also carried on a job printing office. During the presidential campaign of 18 60, he published in Marion county, East Tennessee, the Sequatchie Herald, a paper devoted to the support of Bell and Everett. Previous to the war his position was that of an anti-secession democrat. After the inauguration of the rebellion, he left his wife with her parents in North Carolina, went to Richmond, and from 1862 till the close of the war was engaged in publishing the Southern Punch, and a daily paper called the Evening Courier. After the close of the war he became a residen t of Raleigh, North Carolina, where he first held the position of foreman in the Field and Fireside office, and afterward purchased a half interest in the Biblical Recorder, the organ of the North Carolina Baptists. For one year he published the Ridgeway Press at Ridgeway, North Carolina, and in the fall of 1869 went to Charlestown, West Virginia, and started the Kanawha Daily News, afterward enlarged and called the Kanawha Daily. The latter paper was published by a join t stock company, and Mr. Hughes had charge of the business management. The removal of the state capital to Wheeling caused the failure of the paper as a consequence, and Mr. Hughes lost all his means. After having charge of a job office in St. Louis for a couple of years, in March, 1787, he became the editor and proprietor of the Moawequa Register.

His marriage occurred at Louisville, Kentucky, in 1850, to Miss Mary Bobbitt, a native of North.Carolina. He has had three children, of whom two are now living. In his politics he has always been a democrat. While living in the South he was opposed to sec ession, and favored the preservation of the Union. His long experience in the printing business entitles him to the distinction of now being one of the oldest printers and publishers in this part of the state. For thirty years he has been connected with t he Baptist Church, in which he has been a lay preacher. He is an active member of that denomination, and has labored for the advancement of its interests. In connection with Dr. J H. Phillips, of Shelbyville, he is occupied in publishing the Illustrate d Baptist Weekly. He is known as an able journalist, and as a public speaker, and both in the church and in the field of politics, has achieved considerable reputation.


NOW the oldest business man at Moawequa, was born at Birmingham, England, March 7th, 1835. His father, John Day, was a prominent business man of Birmingham. When he was fourteen his father died, leaving a widow and five children. In December, 1849. he left England in a sailing vessel arriving at Boston, January 24th, 1830. He made the voyage unaccompanied by any friends or acquaintances. He had attended school at Birmingham and secured a good education. Immediately after reaching Boston he obtained a situation as clerk in a book-store, and then became one of the bookkeepers for Nash, Callender & Co. In 1854 he engaged in the insurance business in New York. He revisited England the latter part of 1855, and returned to America in the spring of 1857. At Chicago he met Tom Ponting, who suggested that he would find a good business opening at Moawequa. He reached that place in May, 1857, and in February, 1858, began the mercantile business,which he has since carried on. When he came to Moawequa it was a small place with few business houses, and with its subsequent prosperity and business growth he has been closely identified. June 3d, 1862, he married Louisa M. March, of Jacksonville, Illinois, daughter of Edward and Harriet March. He has eight children. He carries on two stores at Moawequa -- a general dry goods, grocery, and agricultural implement store and another for the sale of clothing, furnishing goods, and articles of men and boys wear. His career illustrates what may be accomplished by energy, e nterprise, and careful business management. He is a good type of self-made man. He began business with

Page 207

a small capital, and has reached among the solid and substantial business men of Shelby county. He is connected with the order of Odd Fellows, Knights of Honor, and the Independent Order of Foresters, and has held important positions in the councils of th ese Societies. In each he is now the highest officer in Shelby county, and for many years has been prominently connected with the Grand Lodge of the Knights of Honor. He has maintained an excellent reputation as a capable and enterprising business man, an d his name deserves a place in this work as one of the representative citizens of Shelby county.


WHO has practiced medicine at Moawequa since 1868, is a native of Macoupin county, and was born at Carlinville on the 26th of July, 1840. The Hoxsey family was of Irish and Scotch origin; his father, Tristram P. Hoxsey, was born in Christian county , Kentucky, in the year 1808, and when a boy nine years of age came with the family to Illinois; they settled on Silver Creek, in Madison county, in 1817, the year before the admission of Illinois into the Union as a State. Dr. Hoxsey's father left home w hen about eighteen, and settled in what is now Macon county. He was living at Carlinville in 1829, the year the county was organized, and was appointed the first county clerk, and, in addition, performed the duties of circuit clerk and recorder; he served as county clerk till 1837, and as circuit clerk till 1841. In 1847 he left Carlinville and went to Milwaukee, Wisconsin, where he was engaged in the stock business. In 1850 he removed to Hillsboro, Montgomery county, and carried on the mercantile busines s there, and was postmaster; he died on the 25th of September, 1855. Dr. Hoxsey's mother was Elizabeth Melvina Anderson, a native of the State of New York; she came to Illinois in the year 1818, when six years old, and settled at Marine, in Madison county .

The first seven years of Dr. Hoxsey's life were spent at Carlinville; he was seven years old when his father moved to Milwaukee and ten when the family came to Hillsboro'. He attended school regularly in each of the above places, and had good advantages f or obtaining an education. At the age of twenty he began teaching, near Tamaroa, in Perry county. Remaining there eighteen months he then taught six months at Long Grove, in Macon county. During the winter of 1861-2 he was employed in a dry goods store at Hudson, Wisconsin, and the succeeding summer had a similar situation at Tamaroa. In September, 1862, he went to Little Rock, Arkansas, where for some time he was occupied in carrying out a government contract to supply with wood the Memphis and Little Ro ck railroad. He returned to Illinois in August, 1864, and the following 13th of October he was united in marriage to Mary M. Catherwood, daughter of Dr. T. L. Catherwood, who was then residing at Moawequa, and is now practicing his profession at Shelbyvil le.

In 1865 he began the study of medicine at Moawequa with Dr. Catherwood; he attended his first course of lectures at Keokuk, Iowa, in the Medical Department of the Iowa University during the winter of 1866-7; he began practice in Stonington, Christian coun ty, in May, 1867, and in November, 1868, came to Moawequa to practice, in partnership with Dr. Catherwood; he graduated from the Miami Medical College at Cincinnati, in the spring of 1872: Since 1875 he has been engaged in practice by himself. He has six children -- Eva, Alice, Gertrude, Carrie, Thomas, and Mary. In his politics he has always been a member of the democratic party, as was his father before him. On general issues he has invariably supported the democratic ticket, and is a staunch believer i n the principles of democracy. In 1879 he was chosen to represent Moawequa township in the board of supervisors. While a member of the board he took an active interest in the county affairs, and favored the building of a new courthouse; he was re-elected in 1880 by a large majority; he has gained the reputation of an able physician, and has many warm friends in his part of the county.

|| Return to Main Site Index ||